Re: help with the package descriptions for libapr-memcache

Bas van den Dikkenberg wrote:
> My sponnsor sugested that i ask here for some help with description and short
> description for my package libapr-memecache.
>
> I am dislectic my self en there for not so good in this, is there some one that
> can help me ?

There's usually me, for a start.

>> * Your short descriptions could be telling the relation to
>>   libmemcached-dev.
>> * The first line of the libapr-memcache-dev long description lacks a
>>   verb.

The first criticism might be true, but I don't understand enough about
it see what it is he thinks it should be saying.  The second looks
like a mistake - there's no shortage of verbs.

I notice the package is already in Debian Stable with the same
description (mostly taken direct from upstream).

> Package: libapr-memcache0
> apr_memcache is a client for memcache written in C, using APR and APR-Util.
> It provides pooled client connections and is thread safe, making it perfect
> for use inside Apache Modules. libapr-memcache0 is used with serval Apache
> modules as libapache2-mod-gnutls (with memcache support)
>
> Package: libapr-memcache-dev
> apr_memcache is a client for memcache written in C, using APR and APR-Util.
> It provides pooled client connections and is thread safe, making it perfect
> for use inside Apache Modules. libapr-memcache0 is used with serval Apache
> modules as libapache2-mod-gnutls (with memcache support) development files

The main issue is that you mean "several" (quite a few), not "serval"
(a kind of wildcat)!

Going through it nitpickingly:

"apr_memcache" is how upstream spell it, though if we can find an easy
way of avoiding the initial lowercase letter I'll use it.

In the upstream version, "memcache" at the start of the long
description actually says "memcached", and links to
http://www.danga.com/memcached/; in the absence of that source of
explanations maybe we should import a few words about what memcached
is.  However, this background information doesn't matter as much with
libraries as it would if this was an app for end users.

"APR and APR-Util" is another link to explanations, so maybe we should
include the expansion "Apache Portable Runtime".  The linked page
actually capitalises "APR-Util" as "APR-util".

I would prefer to hyphenate "thread safe", but it isn't compulsory.

"Apache Modules" is another link (hence the uppercase M), but
fortunately the name is self-explanatory.

Is libapr-memcache0 likely to become libapr-memcache1 at some stage?
If so, perhaps avoiding the packagename in the description would save
some effort later.

When you say that it's used with modules "as" libapache2-mod-gnutls I
think you mean "such as".  Again we might want to use the name of the
module (mod_gnutls).

Tacking "(with memcache support)" on the end is confusing.  Does it
just mean that libapache2-mod-gnutls *can* use libapr-memcache0?  If
so, that sentence seems mostly redundant after you've said that it's
"perfect for use inside Apache Modules".

Okay, so far I'm thinking:

  Package: libapr-memcache0
   apr_memcache is a client written in C for memcached, the memory object
   cache daemon, using the Apache Portable Runtime. It provides pooled client
   connections and is thread safe, making it perfect for use inside Apache
   modules (such as libapache2-mod-gnutls).
   .
   This package provides the shared library for apr_memcache.

  Package: libapr-memcache0
   apr_memcache is a client written in C for memcached, the memory object
   cache daemon, using the Apache Portable Runtime. It provides pooled client
   connections and is thread safe, making it perfect for use inside Apache
   modules (such as libapache2-mod-gnutls).
   .
   This package provides the development files for apr_memcache.

Or with some unnecessary extra tweaks maybe the boilerplate could be:

   apr_memcache is a client written in C for memcached, the memory object
   cache daemon. It uses the Apache Portable Runtime to provide pooled
   client connections in a thread-safe manner, making it perfect for use
   inside Apache modules such as mod_gnutls.