Re: Packaging owncloud-client

Sandro Knauß wrote:
> I started packaging owncloud-client [1] and some questions poped up:
> Should the localization package it named -l10n or -i18n?

Last tme somebody asked this I think the consensus was -l10n; aha:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-l10n-english/2010/03/msg00066.html

> Should the language packages be seperated into one package per language (are
> there any tools for that)?

It probably depends...

> Is the Description text correct?

Here I can try to be more help!

> Package: mirall
> Architecture: any
> Depends: ${misc:Depends}, ${shlibs:Depends},
>  libowncloudsync0 (= ${binary:Version}), libocsync0 (>= 0.70.7), mirall-i18n

This is the right general kind of thing, but some vital context is
missing.  Synchronise my folders between what - PC and laptop?  I'm
guessing it's for setting up synching to cloud storage servers, in
which case it should say so.

(Bear in mind for a start that the reader may never have heard of
ownCloud.)

>  mirall is location aware and should not try to synchronzie against a NAS
>  if you are not in the home network. It should work silently and reliably.

This has language problems, but much more importantly it has
completely skipped the most important part: what is mirall?  What
purpose does it serve, and how?  I deduce that it sometimes *is*
expected to synch data between something or other and a NAS unit on
your home network?

>  .
>  Specify one ore more directories on the local machine to synchronize, and always have
>  your latest files wherever you are. Make a change to the files on one computer,
>  it will flow across the others using these desktop sync clients.

This gives some but not all of the answers.  Among the things it
doesn't say:
 * does it require me to have existing cloud storage?
 * does it use rsync or what?
 * "wherever you are"?  Such as an Amish farm?
Oh, I think I've finally understood Why The Name: mirall as in "mirror
all"?

The description might go vaguely like this (only with facts):

   Mirall lets you always have your latest files wherever you are by
   synchronizing them to a cloud thing of some sort. Just specify one or
   more folders on the local machine to synchronize, and presumably a set
   of computers to share them across, and any change to the files on one
   computer will flow across to every other. Except that sometimes it
   leaves some target devices out, because it is location aware.
   .
   This package provides the graphical client, which needs to be installed
   on every machine in the group.

> Package: mirall-doc
> Architecture: all
> Depends: ${misc:Depends}, ${sphinxdoc:Depends}
> Section: doc

If mirall is, say,
then this could be

[...boilerplate to be determined...]
>  .
>  These are the Documentation files.

   This package provides the documentation.

> Package: mirall-i18n
> Architecture: all
> Depends: ${misc:Depends}
> Section: localization