Re: opensmtpd 5.3.3p1-1: Please translate debconf PO for the package opensmtpd

Ryan Kavanagh wrote:
>> The trouble with mentioning example.org here is that we want to be
>> able to use it later as an example valid FQDN, skating over the fact
>> that I don't have permission to use it...
>
> We can use it in documentation; see
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2606#section-3 .

It's RFC-compliant, but it's rather like asking users to pick an IRC
nick "foo" which must be at least four letters long.  And conventional
"metasyntactic variables" like this always carry some minor risk that
users will fail to recognise them as such - they might think
"foo@example.org" is a real special-case name like "root@localhost".

>> The mailname is the "default" hostname used in the SMTP greeting
>> banner?  Default in what sense?  (Also, demote this to a later
>> paragraph.)
>
> Default in the sense that it gets used in the 220 reply (e.g., ryanak.ca
> above) unless you configure opensmtpd to use a different hostname via
> /etc/smtpd.conf

smtp.conf(5) seems to say that if it can't find the mailname file it
just falls back on looking up the hostname.

>>    Mail for the "postmaster", "root", and other system accounts should be
>>    redirected to the user account(s) of the actual system administrator(s).
>>    .
>>    Please enter a comma-separated list of usernames of intended recipients.
>
> Grammar question: Why is there no article "the" preceeding "intended
> recipients"?

I was thinking of it as a "list of names of people".  Adding a
definite article makes it into a "list of names of the people in
question", which probably makes at least as much sense, but now that I
look at it I wonder how many usernames it's implying each intended
recipient has.  Perhaps it should have a definite article there too:

 Please enter a comma-separated list of the usernames of the intended
 recipients.

> May I add a copyright line on your behalf to debian/copyright licensing
> your changes under the package's license (ISC[0])?

Sure, that's my default position for anything copyrightable -
https://wiki.debian.org/JustinBRye