[LCFC] wml://{intro/diversity,News/2012/20120420}.wml [Let's release an announcement tomorrow?]

Hi press team, publicity and l10n-english CC,

We already prepared and reviewed over a month ago an announcement about
the diversity statement, I just refreshed it with a new date, and a
mention and link to the vote. Unless someone vetoes or is willing to
prepare another announcement, it would be nice to send it quickly (e.g.
tomorrow, Tuesday 5 June).

I'm ready to commit the attached files to www.d.o and coordinate with
whoever from the press team, so please, just ping me if you need help!

Regards

David

## Mark the status of this text in the following line.
## * Use "open-for-edit" if it's too early for anyone to translate anything
## * Use "content-frozen" if the content has been stabilized, but is being
##   reviewd by native speakers;  translators can start their work now
## * Use "sent" if the issue has been sent our; furhter changes should now
##   be done in Debian's webwml repository
# $Id: 2012-06-05-diversity.wml 3842 2012-06-04 21:20:06Z taffit $
# $Rev: 3842 $

<define-tag pagetitle>Debian welcomes diversity</define-tag>
<define-tag release_date>2012-06-05</define-tag>
#use wml::debian::news

## Translators should uncomment the following line and add their name
## Leaving translation at 1.1 is okay; that's the first version which will
## be added to Debian's webwml repository
##
# #use wml::debian::translation-check translation="1.1" maintainer=""

The Debian Project is pleased to announce the availability of
its <a href="$(HOME)/intro/diversity">diversity statement</a>,
approved by a <a href="$(HOME)/vote/2012/vote_002">large
majority of the project members</a>.

The <strong>technical</strong> part of Debian Project is already
committed to diversity: we don't accept discrimination against persons,
groups or fields of endeavor in our software
(<a href="$(HOME)/social_contract#guidelines">Debian Free Software
Guidelines, points 5 and 6</a>).
Now, the <strong>community</strong> part of Debian Project explicitly
welcomes and encourages participation by everyone.

<q>The constructive and fruitful discussion that led to the current
version of this statement was really encouraging</q> said Francesca
Ciceri who proposed the initial draft and took a lot of other opinions into account.
<q>I'd like to thank all the people who participated in the drafting process
proposing changes and fixes, explaining different points of view and
approving this initiative</q>, Francesca added.

<q>This statement marks a new stage in the process of welcoming
contributors to our project</q> said Stefano Zacchiroli, Debian Project Leader.
<q>Community diversity goes hand in hand with community richness.</q>

<h2>About Debian</h2>

The Debian Project was founded in 1993 by Ian Murdock to be a truly
free community project. Since then the project has grown to be one of
the largest and most influential open source projects.  Thousands of
volunteers from all over the world work together to create and
maintain Debian software. Available in 70 languages, and
supporting a huge range of computer types, Debian calls itself the
<q>universal operating system</q>.

<h2>Contact Information</h2>

&lt;press@debian.org&gt;.</p>

#use wml::debian::template title="Diversity Statement" BARETITLE="true"

The Debian Project welcomes and encourages participation by everyone.
No matter how you identify yourself or how others perceive you:
we welcome you.
We welcome contributions from everyone as long as they
interact constructively with our community.
While much of the work for our project is technical in nature, we
value and encourage contributions from those with expertise in other areas,
and welcome them into our community.

<hr />

<h2>Useful contacts</h2>

<ul>
</ul>

<hr />
by other Debian contributors</a> and then
as the diversity statement of the Debian Project.