Re: [RFR] New description for fwknop

Hi Justin,

Sorry for the delay.

Le 26/09/2012 03:17, Justin B Rye a écrit :
Franck Joncourt wrote:
I am currently adding a new binary package in the fwknop source package.

The binary package is going to be called libfko-perl and here could be the
description :

I'd recommend basing it on the description for the other packages in
the fwknop suite (which last passed through d-l-e in 2008). The same
goes for libfko0 - it should describe what the software is useful for,
not its implementation history.

Yes, I think you are right and I can keep what I have used for the previous release (< 2.0.0) for the main description and only add minor changes for each binary package such as libfko-perl, libfko, libfko-dbg...

(No need for punctuation, but it's "Perl" with a capital P.)

That is obvious, but I have done the mistake :)

[...]

It's in Debian main, so it's already obvious that it's open source;
and users have no particular reason to be interested in the language
it's implemented in - what they want to know is what good it'll do
them.  I'd recommend just going back to the boilerplate you've already
got:

   The FireWall KNock OPerator implements an authorization scheme called
   Single Packet Authorization (SPA), based on Netfilter and libpcap.
   .
   Its main application is to protect services such as OpenSSH with
   an additional layer of security in order to make the exploitation of
   vulnerabilities (both 0-day and unpatched code) much more difficult.
   .
   The authorization server passively listens for authorization packets via
   libcap, so there is no service listening for network connections on the
   traditional port. Access to a protected service is only granted after a
   valid encrypted and non-replayed packet is detected.
   .
   This package provides the FKO module as a Perl interface for libfko.

And libfko0 could be something like:

   The FireWall KNock OPerator implements an authorization scheme called
   [...]
   valid encrypted and non-replayed packet is detected.
   .
   This package provides the runtime library for fwknop (written in C).

I think I am going to use those descriptions and update the others as following :

libko0-dev :
------------
 [...]
 .
 This package contains the development library and its headers.

libko0-dbg :
 [...]
 .
 This package provides the debugging symbols for the libfko
 library.

Regards,

---
Franck