Re: [RFR] templates://texlive-base/{templates}

Hi Justin,

I just had another look at how the package descriptions are generated.
That allows me to make some more remarks:

Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk> wrote:

>> Package: texlive-generic-recommended
> [...]
>>  Recommended packages that work with multiple formats.
>>  .
>>  This package includes the following CTAN packages:
>
> This long description starts with a non-sentence and confusingly
> asserts that this package contains packages.  Yes, it goes on to
> explain that it means CTAN packages, but I would suggest standardising
> all the descriptions phrased like this in the direction of:
>
>    This is a set of recommended CTAN packages that work with multiple
>    formats, including:

This we cannot do.  The problem is that the first sentence in the long
description is the "longdesc" entry from Upstream TeX Live (which
Norbert, one of the maintainers, could in principle change had he the
time to do so), whereas the "This package includes..." is from Debian
packaging.

So, if you can propose a better wording for the Debian part, I'd
gratefully apply the change.

>>   colortbl -- Add colour to LaTeX tables.
>                     color

The Catalogue contains a mixture of british and US spelling and wording,
and changing this is both impossible and IMHO useless.

>> Package: texlive-fonts-recommended
> [...]
>>  .
>>  This package includes the following CTAN packages:
>
> Don't start with an empty paragraph.

That's just the non-existing Upstream longdesc.  We could add a special
case for this, but I don't see that it is worth the effort.

>>   euro -- Provide Euro values for national currency amounts.
> It's "euro", not "Euro" (passim - does TeX really need all
> these strap-on boosters just to help it cope with U+20AC?)
> Oh, and surely those are now ex-currencies?

Sounds more like a package that performs the calculations, not provide
the symbols.  And yes, while they may be ex-currencies, there may also
be non-ex, existing documents that use this...

> Repeating "TeX Live" is redundant, and so is the mention of
> packages (though just for once it really does mean .debs, not
> packages in the TeX sense).  Nor is "decent" a clear way of
> saying "lightweight compared to texlive-full".  How about:

The first "TeX Live:" is automated again, so no way to get rid of that.
What we wanted to say with "decent" is that it is a collection that may
be sufficient or at least a good starting point for many, something an
imagined "normal user" might want.  Or want to start with.

For sure it is not a "standard collection" nor even a "collection of
standard packages", there ain't such thing on a living TeX system.

That sounds strange to me: Selected for what?  Even the candy box says
"A selection of _our_best_ chocolate candies".  (Moreover, selektiv has
a negative connotation of exclusion in German and maybe other languages.
That might confuse not only me but also non-native readers of
untranslated descriptions).

>>  The TeX Live software distribution offers a complete TeX system.
>>  It encompasses programs for typesetting, previewing and printing
>                                                       ^,
>>  of TeX documents in many different languages, and a large collection
>>  of TeX macros and font libraries.
>>  .
>>  This metapackage provides a decent selection of the TeX Live packages
>>  which should suffice for the most common tasks.
>>  .
>>  The distribution also includes extensive general documentation about
>>  TeX, as well as the documentation accompanying the included software
>>  packages.
>
> Move the middle paragraph to the end so that all the invariant
> boilerplate material is together.

On the other hand, you need to get to the very end until you get the
important point.  This one, for now, is completely under our control.
Feel free to suggest any change you think proper.

>> Package: texlive-full
> [...]
>
> Better, but still repetitive.  Why not just:

According to dict.leo.org, "comprehensive" means "covering a large
area", "rich in content", "large", but what we want a phrase that makes
it clear this pulls in _everything_.  I fear this will get even more
lost in translations.

Thank you very much for your contributions!

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Sprecher B90/Grüne OV Miltenberg und Umgebung