Re: Please review garmin-ant-downloader package description

Christian PERRIER wrote:
> For once, this is an ITP of mine..:-)
>
> The package would provide software to get data from Garmin Forerunner
> GPS watches that use a wireless proprietary procotol.

Neat - will http://www.debian.org/devel/developers.loc be getting
realtime updates?

> Here is what I came up with:
>
> Package: garmin-ant-downloader
> Architecture: any
> Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
>  This software uses the Garmin ANT+ proprietary USB keys and
>  communication protocol to retrieve information (such as GPS traces)
>  from some Garmin Forerunner watches such as Foreunner 405.
                                                   ^r
>  .
>  The software was originally named "gant" but renamed when packaged
>  to avoid confusion with existing Java software.

Other than the verb-based synopsis that looks fine.  Hang on, typo.

> Maybe mention "sport watches" as these are mostly used by runners,
> bikers, etc. ?

   from some Garmin Forerunner sport watches such as the Forerunner 405.

("Sport watch" and "sports watch" get similar Google hitcounts, and
meanwhile Garmin advertise it as a "sportswatch".)

> Maybe try having a noun sentence as synopsis instead of an infinitive?

Yes, something like:

That's assuming you can accurately describe this sofware as using
ANT+; if it's only the USB things that use ANT+ and the download is
performed via TFTP or something, use

Other options that might or might not be appropriate:

One problem with "GPS device" is that to me it makes it sound as if
you've ripped one of those navigation computer things off a car
dashboard and strapped it to your wrist; I'd be happier calling them
GPS-enabled devices.  On the other hand people do seem to talk about
"GPS watches", "GPS bike computers" and so on.  Maybe it should say