Re: [RFR] templates://phonon/{phonon-backend-null.templates}

Sune Vuorela wrote:
> Christian PERRIER wrote:
>> Quoting David Prévot (davidp@altern.org):
>>> Please avoid “Qt 4” in short description of user-oriented packages, as
>>> advised in the Developer's Reference, and prefer something like
>>> “multimedia framework for KDE”.
>>
>> I agree that not having "KDE" written anywhere is kind of strange.
>
> Nothing specific to KDE's software in phonon. You can easily use phonon in Qt-
> environments without any trace of the KDE Platform.

Yes, this was indeed why I was avoiding "KDE" in the synopsis - it
would make it sound as if installing phonon was likely to pull in lots
of desktop-environment-specific dependencies.

On the other hand, given that "Qt 4" is there in the long description,
you don't really need it in the synopsis.

>> I replaced "QT 4 multimedia framework" by "multimedia framework for
>> KDE" in packages' synopsis.
>
> Please don't. KDE is people producing software.

Oh, great, corporate rebranding kicks us in the teeth again.  KDE™
has been redefined to officially not mean the K Desktop Environment,
so apparently we're supposed to be going through all Debian's docs
replacing "KDE" with "Plasma Workspaces" or something...

> "multimedia framework by KDE" would be correct, but look a bit weird.

And I strongly suspect it would fail to communicate the idea to normal
users anyway.

How about "from KDE"?  It's getting longer, but it simultaneously
avoids the implication that it'll bring all its friends with it and
pays lipservice to the new "KDE is people" idea...