Re: Request for debconf template review, ntop

Ludovico Cavedon wrote:
> Justin B Rye wrote:
>> Putting things in git is a good way of stopping non-programmers like
>> me from having a look at them, but I'll follow up Christian's version
>
> Mhm, the link in my email was supposed to give you a plain text file...

Oh, I see what happened.  I wasn't reading it in a browser, so I
copied the URL into a shell command, and
!w3m http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/ntop.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/ntop.templates;h=327505ac778b948cd9d88dde3ec1bdb90f6fcc81;hb=HEAD
only uses the part before the first semicolon.

>>> Template: ntop/admin_password
>>> Type: password
>>>  You must choose a password to be used with ntop administration web
>>>  interface.
>>
>>    Please choose a password to be used for ntop's administrative web
>>    interface.
>
> There was a good point of having "admin password", i.e. it was the user
> for the "admin" password, which is in fact administrator.

I think I get it.  The account that was set up in the ntop/user
template was (by default) an account named "ntop" in /etc/password;
but this is an account in some ntop-specific database.

> However I can agree the old way was trying to convey implicitly too much
> information. So what about:
>
> "Please choose a password to be used for ntop's administrative web
> interface (i.e. for the username "admin")."

The question is, when the web interface challenges me to give this
administrative password, am I first required to type in the username
"admin", or is it just that you get to the password prompt by going
from (e.g.) the "Stats" tab to the "Admin" tab?  The ntop man page
only seems to talk about asking for an "admin password", and I don't
see what other accounts there would be for it to need to distinguish
between by username.

If users do need to be prepared to type in "admin", then yes, use
something like the above, or:

   Please choose a password to be used for the privileged user "admin"
   in ntop's web interface.

Otherwise you really might as well simplify it down to:

   Please choose a password for ntop's administrative web interface.