Re: Improving Package descriptions

[ adding debian-l10n-english@lists.debian.org and Lars Wirzenius to Cc:,
  full quote to their benefit ]

Hi Vish, thanks for getting in touch about this matter.

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 01:48:01PM +0530, Vishnoo wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-08-21 at 18:16 +0100, Phil Bull wrote:
> >

> > > It would be nice to organise an event where we can review package
> > > descriptions en masse (and perhaps other related strings, like
> > > descriptions in .desktop files). That way, people rewriting descriptions
> > > could get instant help and feedback from us.
> > >
> We could make it a part of the Global Jams or propose this for a Bug Day?
> Jorge Castro might have other ideas as well.
>

> > Regarding [5], I think the issue is more that lots of developers aren't
> > aware of the skill levels of their users! It would take a bigger
> > programme of "usability awareness" promotion to fix that, I think...
> >
> Yes, also when we mention bad practices, I think we should offer a haven
> for developers to request package descriptions. Else it would be tough
> for them , if we dont offer help when they are looking for it.
> Can we offer this Docs mailing list ? Or any other alternate
> suggestions ?
>
> > > If we can get Debian to update the guidelines, this would be a whole lot
> > > easier. Once we have a complete guideline, we should probably look into
> > > that as well.
> >
> > I agree, and I'd like to help out with that. The current Debian
> > guidelines aren't bad, but I don't think that they push the
> > non-technical aspect enough. Using non-technical language is something
> > that docs/UA people can really help with.

> > > Also to note is that I have posted a Question [6](in Answers! ;p), which
> > > would hopefully allow us to make changes in Ubuntu without waiting on
> > > Debian or breaking package syncs.
> >
> > That sounds like a good short-term solution, but I'd be very keen to get
> > everything synced with Debian as soon as possible.
>
> Looks like the User-contributed metadata for software-center is being
> brought up for UDS-N  [7].
> And it seems Stefano Zacchiroli from Debian will also be available at
> the UDS. We could sync up with debian that way.

I confirm I'll be there and I'll be happy to be a starting contact point
on this matter between Debian and Ubuntu. Please note however that I'll
be at UDS only from Monday to Wednesday; if you plan a session on this,
I would appreciate if you can schedule it during those days.

You might be interested in Debian's Smith Review Project [8] a Debian
initiative started some time ago. Among its goals there was also that of
doing a thorough review of Package Descriptions [9], as initially
proposed by Lars Wirzenius.  I've no idea about the current state of the
initiatives, but I'm confident participants would be happy to get some
helping hands.

Lars, -l10n folks, feel free to drop your thoughts here, and/or let me
know them, so that I can properly represent them at UDS.

[8] http://wiki.debian.org/I18n/SmithReviewProject
[9] http://wiki.debian.org/PackagesDescriptionsReview

> Will someone from the Docs team be available at the UDS?
> >
> > > [3] <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareCenter/PackageDescriptions>
> > > [4]
> > > <http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-desc-basics>
> > > [5] <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=588898#10>
> > > [6] <https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/rosetta/+question/120619>
>
> [7]
> <https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/other-foundations-n-user-contributed-metadata-for-software-center>

Cheers.

ti resta John Fante -- V. Caposella .......| ..: |.......... -- C. Adams