Re: [RFH] libfm package description

Andrew Lee wrote:
> I answered some questions, but not sure if my point of view is
> appropriated and maybe the description need to be adjust also?
>
> Justin B Rye wrote:
>> If this was a library to serve the "programming needs" of
>> developers, it would belong in libdevel.  Describe the function of
>> libfm0 for the end users who are going to have it installed:

> I think the library description basicly are for user who has programming
> needs as end user won't need to install a library via aptitude, except
> he or she has programming needs.

Remember that we're talking about libfm0, not libfm-dev.  Imagine a
sysadmin thinking "Why is libfm0 installed - did one of the
developers need it as a dependency for some locally-compiled
program?"  In that context, a useful package description is one
that explains what kind of application functionality the library
supports ("Oh, it'll be for Sam's ncurses WebDAV browser").

>> Cutting ruthlessly, I'll suggest:
>>
>>    LibFM provides Glib/GIO file management widgets.
>
> Sorry for the confusion on my bad English. What I want to express is the
> libfm integrated GLIB/GIO and provide a higher level API for file
> management functions.

When you say it "integrates" Glib/GIO and that it "provides a higher
level API", that sounds to me like two ways of saying that it's a
library based on another library.  Thinking about it a bit more,
maybe it's:

     LibFM provides file management functions built on top of Glib/GIO,
     giving a convenient higher-level API.

(Should it keep the word "widgets" somewhere?)

[...]
>> Except that in fact it Depends on libgconf2, libgnome-keyring0, and
>> libgvfscommon0
>
> I guess you mean the pcmanfm in sid depends on such packages?

To be honest I can't remember - my testing/sid box isn't accessible
today.  Perhaps the line about "Independent to any platform/desktop
environment" should go back as something like:

      * Desktop-independent, following FreeDesktop standards;

>>>   * Fast, low memory usage and low latency which is friendly to less
>>>     powerful hardware such as netbook and thin client/server.
>>
>> When you say "low latency", is that talking about *network* latency?
>> You've already said libfm's fast... but I can't see how it's going
>> to reduce the latency of connections to my file server, or why that
>> would be particularly helpful on antique hardware.
>
> The 'low latency' doesn't mean *network* sepcific, it means faster
> response generally. I don't know which word is more suitable for this.

I see now.  I think you're after "responsive".

>>     * Fast and light on memory usage, which is friendly to less
>>       powerful hardware such as netbooks and thin clients;
>
> Thin client means all/most of it's applications are running on server.
> So it might be suitable to say it's suitable to run on thin client/server?

"Thin client/server" might mean "a client-and-server setup of the
thin-client variety", or it might mean "either a thin client, or its
server".  In either case it implies that you're including the server
as an example of "less powerful hardware".

You might want something like:
       * Fast, light on memory usage, and responsive - well suited to
         less powerful hardware such as netbooks and thin clients;

>>       remote file systems (FTP, SFTP, WebDav, Windows shares, etc.);
>>     * Clipboard operations are compatible with GTK+/GNOME and QT/KDE;
                                                                 ^^
s/QT/Qt/, and in the previous line, s/WebDav/WebDAV/.

>> (Quite a lot of the above might boil down to a single bulletpoint
>> saying "Freedesktop standards-compliant", but I'm not sure how
>> much.)
>
> Hum, it's hard to answer very detail here.
>
> Basicly it offer some missing widgets in GTK+ and glib to provide file
> management functions, eg: you may do file management within file
> selection popup window in GTK+ with this libfm.

That's what I was imagining.  One thing I wasn't quite sure about:
where currently I've got it saying

   * Supports Drag-and-Drop, using the X Direct Save protocol;

I'm being slightly vague there because I'm not sure which is true:

   * Supports Drag-and-Drop via the X Direct Save protocol;
or * Supports Drag-and-Drop, and uses the X Direct Save protocol;

My rewrite below guesses that it's the latter.

[...]
>>> Package: libfm0-dbg
>> [...]
>> [...]
>>>  This package contains the debugging symbols.
>>
>> This one just needs the boilerplate changes.
>
> Do you think we need to adjust the descriptions or just your the one you
> attached originaly?

I meant that if the first paragraph of standard "boilerplate" text
is changed in each package there would be no need for any other
changes to libfm0-dbg.

I attach a revised version that makes it:

 LibFM provides file management functions built on top of Glib/GIO,
 giving a convenient higher-level API. Features:
  * Desktop-independent, following FreeDesktop standards;
  * Fast, light on memory usage, and responsive - well suited to
    less powerful hardware such as netbooks and thin clients;
  * Uses GIO/GVFS (like Nautilus) for Trash support and access to
    remote file systems (FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, Windows shares, etc.);
  * Clipboard operations are compatible with GTK+/GNOME and Qt/KDE;
  * Supports Drag-and-Drop, and uses the X Direct Save protocol;
  * Reusable design with the core functions separated out to
    simplify porting to other GUIs.
Source: libfm
Section: libs
Maintainer: Debian LXDE Packaging Team
<pkg-lxde-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Uploaders: Julien Lavergne <julien.lavergne@gmail.com>, Andrew Lee (李健
秋) <ajqlee@debian.org>
Build-Depends: cdbs, debhelper (>= 7.0.50~), autotools-dev,
libglib2.0-dev (>= 2.16), libgtk2.0-dev (>= 2.16), libmenu-cache1-dev,
intltool
Standards-Version: 3.8.4
Homepage: http://pcmanfm.sourceforge.net/
Vcs-Git: git://git.debian.org/git/collab-maint/libfm.git
Vcs-Browser: http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/libfm.git;a=summary

Package: libfm0
Section: libs
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
 LibFM provides file management functions built on top of Glib/GIO,
 giving a convenient higher-level API. Features:
  * Desktop-independent, following FreeDesktop standards;
  * Fast, light on memory usage, and responsive - well suited to
    less powerful hardware such as netbooks and thin clients;
  * Uses GIO/GVFS (like Nautilus) for Trash support and access to
    remote file systems (FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, Windows shares, etc.);
  * Clipboard operations are compatible with GTK+/GNOME and Qt/KDE;
  * Supports Drag-and-Drop, and uses the X Direct Save protocol;
  * Reusable design with the core functions separated out to
    simplify porting to other GUIs.
 .
 This package contains the core function library.

Package: libfm-gtk0
Section: libs
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
 LibFM provides file management functions built on top of Glib/GIO,
 giving a convenient higher-level API. Features:
  * Desktop-independent, following FreeDesktop standards;
  * Fast, light on memory usage, and responsive - well suited to
    less powerful hardware such as netbooks and thin clients;
  * Uses GIO/GVFS (like Nautilus) for Trash support and access to
    remote file systems (FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, Windows shares, etc.);
  * Clipboard operations are compatible with GTK+/GNOME and Qt/KDE;
  * Supports Drag-and-Drop, and uses the X Direct Save protocol;
  * Reusable design with the core functions separated out to
    simplify porting to other GUIs.
 .
 This package contains the GTK+ GUI.

Package: libfm-dev
Section: libdevel
Architecture: any
Depends: libfm0 (= ${binary:Version}), ${misc:Depends}, libfm-gtk0 (${binary:Version})
 LibFM provides file management functions built on top of Glib/GIO,
 giving a convenient higher-level API. Features:
  * Desktop-independent, following FreeDesktop standards;
  * Fast, light on memory usage, and responsive - well suited to
    less powerful hardware such as netbooks and thin clients;
  * Uses GIO/GVFS (like Nautilus) for Trash support and access to
    remote file systems (FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, Windows shares, etc.);
  * Clipboard operations are compatible with GTK+/GNOME and Qt/KDE;
  * Supports Drag-and-Drop, and uses the X Direct Save protocol;
  * Reusable design with the core functions separated out to
    simplify porting to other GUIs.
 .
 This package contains the development headers.

Package: libfm-utils
Section: libs
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
 LibFM provides file management functions built on top of Glib/GIO,
 giving a convenient higher-level API. Features:
  * Desktop-independent, following FreeDesktop standards;
  * Fast, light on memory usage, and responsive - well suited to
    less powerful hardware such as netbooks and thin clients;
  * Uses GIO/GVFS (like Nautilus) for Trash support and access to
    remote file systems (FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, Windows shares, etc.);
  * Clipboard operations are compatible with GTK+/GNOME and Qt/KDE;
  * Supports Drag-and-Drop, and uses the X Direct Save protocol;
  * Reusable design with the core functions separated out to
    simplify porting to other GUIs.
 .
 This package contains a demonstration program.

Package: libfm0-dbg
Section: debug