Re: [RFR] templates://phpbb3/{templates}

David Prévot wrote:
> phpbb3-l10n is not yet in the archive, it used to be phpbb2-languages
> back in Etch, is the name ok?

I see five "-l10n" packages in the archives and only one
"-languages": lsb-languages, which I suspect means something
different.  There are also nine "-locales" and, aha, sixteen
"-i18n" packages including debconf-i18n, so maybe that's the
emerging standard?

>> This still seems strange.  Once you support apache2 and lighttpd,
>> what happens if I select both but have neither installed?
>
> The configuration will be (individually) skipped during postinst, but
> maybe can I propose something smarter like testing if the web server is
> [being] installed, and then propose different ${choices}?
>
> Do you know some clever support for this sort of feature in any package
> so I could learn from an existing one?

It sounds as if it should work, but I don't remember noticing any
similar packages applying this sort of logic.

By the way, I notice php5-cli has been promoted to a Pre-Depends.
Is that because there are phpbb3 configurator scripts in PHP?

> Anyway, the goal is to (silently) automatically configure the web server
> (apache2 or lighttpd for the moment), and permit the admin who care for
> medium priority question, to not automatically configure it.

Should it perhaps add a line explicitly saying "this will involve a
reload, so maybe you'd prefer to dpkg-reconfigure it at some other
time"?  (Previous similar packages haven't bothered to say that.)

>>> Choices: apache2
>>
>> Make that "__Choices:"
>
> Didn't find what it means in debconf(7) or debconf-devel(7). After
> testing, it seems that the debconf screen isn't shown, is it the goal?
> Do you have any other doc to point me to?

Oops, I don't think I meant to leave that in - it's backwards.  See
Developer's Reference 6.5.2; it would only be sensible if the
choices were translatable.

Going back to a review of the package descriptions:

You didn't change this line; I would suggest
And then a period at the end of the last line, and that's it.

The phpbb3/httpd template can afford to get a bit simpler if we know
from the start that there are going to be multiple web servers on
the list.

Instead of my horrible double negative:
  phpBB can run on any web server supporting PHP, but those not listed
  cannot be configured automatically.
you can just say:
  phpBB can run on any web server supporting PHP, but only those listed
  can be configured automatically.

That's what's in my attached version, but I'm not even sure you need
to mention "supporting PHP" - the user doesn't need to worry about
that while selecting from this list.  If I copied the wording from
the last similar case to pass through, it would just be:

  Please choose the web server that should be automatically configured
  for phpBB.
Template: phpbb3/httpd
Type: multiselect
Choices: apache2, lighttpd
Default: apache2, lighttpd
 phpBB can run on any web server supporting PHP, but only those listed
 can be configured automatically.
 .
 Please select any web server that should be configured automatically
 for phpBB.
Source: phpbb3
Section: web
Maintainer: Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen@wolffelaar.nl>
Uploaders: Thijs Kinkhorst <thijs@debian.org>
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 6), po-debconf
Build-Depends-Indep: bzip2, sharutils, unzip
Standards-Version: 3.8.4
Homepage: http://www.phpbb.com
Vcs-Svn: http://svn.wolffelaar.nl/phpbb/trunk/phpbb3
Vcs-Browser: http://svn.wolffelaar.nl/wsvn/phpbb/trunk/phpbb3

Package: phpbb3
Architecture: all
Pre-Depends: php5-cli
Depends: libapache2-mod-php5 | php5-cgi | php5, php5-gd,
 php5-mysql | php5-pgsql | php5-sqlite | php5-odbc | php5-sybase,
 apache2 | httpd, dbconfig-common, ${misc:Depends},
 mysql-client | postgresql-client | sqlite
Recommends: exim4 | mail-transport-agent,
 php5-imagick
Suggests: phpbb3-l10n, mysql-server | postgresql
 phpBB is a high powered, fully scalable, and highly customizable
 bulletin board, with a user-friendly interface, simple and
 straightforward administration panel, and helpful FAQ.
 .
 It supports a choice of database back-ends.

Package: phpbb3-l10n
Architecture: all
Section: localization
Depends: phpbb3, ${misc:Depends}
 phpBB is a high powered, fully scalable, and highly customizable
 bulletin board, with a user-friendly interface, simple and
 straightforward administration panel, and helpful FAQ.
 .
 This package contains phpBB language files.