Re: [Pkg-xen-devel] Release notes addition for Xen support in Debian

On 12/29/2010 04:18 AM, Justin B Rye wrote:
> [...many English corrections...]

Thanks a lot for all these changes. I've attached the new version
modified with you advice.

Now, I did download the release-notes from SVN, as per the link Julien
provided. But I failed to understand what file I should modify in it
(I've searched...). This information is missing at
http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/amd64/release-notes/ch-about.en.html
(it only tells about SVN).

Please help me to get this addition in.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)
4.7.4. Xen upgrades

In Lenny, if you installed Xen, the kernel that grub-legacy would boot by default was the one providing a Xen hypervisor and dom0 support. This does not happen under GRUB 2 in Squeeze. Instead, the non-Xen kernel will boot by default. If you need Xen and expect to boot with it by default, you have to tweak the GRUB 2 configuration as explained at:

http://wiki.debian.org/Xen#Installationandconfiguration

Also, upgrading from the Lenny version of Xen does not automatically install the current 4.0 version. So, after you finish the dist-upgrade, you should use an explicit "aptitude install" for Xen 4.0 and a corresponding dom0 kernel. See the wiki page for instructions on how to set up the Xen hypervisor and dom0 kernel under Squeeze.

Be aware that, if you run a pvops kernel for your domU, like the Xen kernel 2.6.32 of Squeeze, your domU won't be able to use (for example) sda1 as a device name for its hard drive. This naming scheme has been removed from Xen because of a request from the mainline kernel maintainers. Instead you should use (as a corresponding example) xvda1, which always work, including when running Lenny 2.6.26 forward ported Xen patch.