Re: Linguistic work on rgbPaint.

Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
>      <title>Copying, cutting, and pasting</title>
>      <para>
> -      To make it easier to get started, here's an introduction to how to
> -      manipulate chunks of the canvas.
> +      To make it easier to avoid mistakes, here is a description on how
> +      to manipulate chunks of the canvas. The cut and paste handling is
> +      not fully identical to the one expected in general software.
>      </para>

Well, it's edging back towards describing the description, but never
mind.  "Description on" should be "description of", though.

"The one" feels wrong; the bigger problem here is that you're
comparing non-identical "handlings", basing your sentence around a
rather abstract noun instead of saying what rgbPaint *does*:

         &software; handles cut-and-paste a little differently from most
         similar applications.

("Copy-and-paste" is arguably a more appropriate term, but
"cut-and-paste" is the normal idiom.)

It also seems more natural to put these two sentences in
"problem-solution" order:

         &software; handles cut-and-paste a little differently from most
         similar applications. To make it easier to avoid mistakes, here is
         a description of how to manipulate chunks of the canvas.

> Perhaps "expected from general software"?

I've phrased it above on the assumption that it's other image
editors you're comparing rgbPaint to, not "dd" or "find"!  I'd
prefer not to guess what readers will think is expected - the system
they're most familiar with might be X11's select-and-paste standard.
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<!--
	vim: set sw=2 ts=2:
-->

<!DOCTYPE part PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2//EN"
			"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd"; [

	<!ENTITY fnamn				"<firstname>Mats Erik</firstname>">
	<!ENTITY enamn				"<surname>Andersson</surname>">
	<!ENTITY namn					"Mats Erik Andersson">
	<!ENTITY fnamn2				"<firstname>Justin B</firstname>">
	<!ENTITY enamn2				"<surname>Rye</surname>">
	<!ENTITY namn2				"Justin B Rye">
	<!ENTITY aar					"2010">
	<!ENTITY epost				"<email>debian@gisladisker.se</email>">
	<!ENTITY datum-en			"<date>November 29th, 2010</date>">
	<!--
		Add any further translators with name, email, and date of last update.
	-->

	<!ENTITY package			"rgbpaint">
	<!ENTITY software			"rgbPaint">	<!--	Official, upstream name of software.  -->
	<!ENTITY Software			"Rgbpaint">	<!--	Name for non-degenerate orthography.  -->
	<!ENTITY prog					"rgbpaint">
	<!ENTITY handbook			"<refentrytitle>&prog;</refentrytitle>">

	<!--
		Version is for master copy only.  Transfer the numerical value to any
		translation.  This simplifies tracking of translation lags.  Thank you!
	-->
	<!ENTITY version			"0.8.7">

	<!ENTITY debian				"<systemitem class='osname'>Debian</systemitem>">

	<!ENTITY ndash				"&#8211;">
]>

<part lang="en">
	<title>Mark Tyler's painting program</title>

<reference id="reference.en" lang="en">
	<title>Manual for &package;.</title>

<!--
	Manual page English: rgbpaint.1

	Master copy for all translations.
-->
<refentry lang="en" id="&prog;.en">

	<!-- Ingressus -->

	<refentryinfo>
		<address>
			&epost;
		</address>
		<author>
			&fnamn;
			&enamn;
		</author>
		<copyright>
			<year>&aar;</year>
			<holder>&namn;</holder>
		</copyright>
		&datum-en;
	</refentryinfo>
	<refmeta>
		&handbook;
		<manvolnum>1</manvolnum>
		<refmiscinfo class="source">&software;</refmiscinfo>
		<refmiscinfo class="version">&version;</refmiscinfo>
	</refmeta>
	<refnamediv>
		<refname>&prog;</refname>
		<refpurpose>A simple pixel-based painting program.</refpurpose>
	</refnamediv>

	<!-- Corpus -->

	<refsynopsisdiv>
		<cmdsynopsis>
			<command>&prog;</command>
			<arg choice="opt">
				<replaceable>options</replaceable>
			</arg>
			<arg choice="opt">
				<replaceable>image-file</replaceable>
			</arg>
			<arg choice="opt">
				<option>-stamps</option>
				<replaceable>file ...</replaceable>
			</arg>
		</cmdsynopsis>
	</refsynopsisdiv>

	<refsect1>
		<title>Description</title>
		<para>
			&software;
			is a very basic painting program created by forking mtPaint
			at version 3.09, and then simplifying the user interface.
			It relies on a small but modifiable palette for pixel-based
			image editing. Images can be saved in ICO, JPEG and PNG
			formats; files in other image formats can be loaded, but not
			saved in the original format.
		</para>
	</refsect1>

	<refsect1>
		<title>Options</title>
		<para>
			The program accepts the following options:
		</para>
		<variablelist>
			<varlistentry>
				<term>
					<option>--help</option>
				</term>
				<listitem>
					<para>Print usage information.</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<term>
					<option>-d</option> <replaceable>dir</replaceable>
				</term>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Use <replaceable>dir</replaceable> as the default
						directory for loading and saving image files.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<term>
					<option>-s</option>
				</term>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Grab a screen shot during launch.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<term>
					<option>-stamps</option>
				</term>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Any file names remaining on the command line will be loaded
						as stamps.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<term>
					<option>-svg</option> <replaceable>dir</replaceable>
				</term>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Load program icons in SVG format from the directory
						<replaceable>dir</replaceable>.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<term>
					<option>-thumb</option> <replaceable>size</replaceable>
				</term>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Set size in pixels that stamp thumbnails should be
						scaled to (up or down depending on original size).
						The default is 40 pixels on a side; permitted values
						are in the range 32&ndash;256.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<term>
					<option>-u</option> <replaceable>limit</replaceable>
				</term>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Set the maximum size of the undo buffer to
						<replaceable>limit</replaceable> MB. The
						default is 32 MB; permitted values are in the range
						1&ndash;500.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<term>
					<option>--version</option>
				</term>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Print version information.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
		</variablelist>
	</refsect1>

	<refsect1>
		<title>Appearance</title>
		<para>
			When launched, <command>&prog;</command> will use most of its
			available window area to present a view of a large
			<emphasis>Canvas</emphasis>. At the top
			there will be a <xref linkend="task.panel.en"/>, and a
			<xref linkend="brush-colour.panel.en"/>	will be at the left
			edge. It is also possible for a rather narrow
			<xref linkend="stamp.panel.en"/> containing iconised images
			to be inset at the bottom edge.
		</para>
	</refsect1>

	<refsect1 id="task.panel.en" xreflabel="Tasks panel">
		<title>The Tasks panel</title>
		<para>
			This panel is used for selecting actions, each of which is also
			accessible via a keyboard shortcut. The available actions can be
			classified into the following groups:
		</para>
		<itemizedlist spacing="compact">
			<listitem>
				<simplelist type="inline">
					<member>New image</member>
					<member>Load image file</member>
					<member>Save image file</member>
					<member>Save image file as</member>
				</simplelist>
			</listitem>
			<listitem>
				<simplelist type="inline">
					<member>Paint</member>
					<member>Flood fill</member>
					<member>Make selection</member>
				</simplelist>
			</listitem>
			<listitem>
				<simplelist type="inline">
					<member>Cut</member>
					<member>Copy</member>
					<member>Paste</member>
					<member>Paste text</member>
				</simplelist>
			</listitem>
			<listitem>
				<simplelist type="inline">
					<member>Undo</member>
					<member>Redo</member>
					<member>Transform colour</member>
					<member>Pan window</member>
					<member>Scaling</member>
				</simplelist>
			</listitem>
		</itemizedlist>
		<para>
			The first group deals with creating new	blank images and reading
			from or writing to image files. Each action conducts its own safety
			check in order not to lose unsaved data. It is worth remembering
			that a fresh canvas is white, and that it is surrounded by greyish
			borders if the canvas is smaller than the available window area.
			A simple dialogue is also launched for selecting the size of any new,
			blank image.
		</para>
		<para>
			The second group picks the main mode that <command>&prog;</command>
			should enter. When it is in <emphasis>Paint</emphasis> mode, the cursor
			will become a pencil symbol, while <emphasis>Fill</emphasis> mode
			displays as a bucket being emptied. <emphasis>Selection</emphasis> mode
			is more complicated, using more than one icon - see
			<xref linkend="select.mode.en"/>.
		</para>
		<para>
			The third group covers actions that operate on a selected portion of
			the canvas: <emphasis>Cutting</emphasis> out a shape from the canvas,
			making a <emphasis>Copy</emphasis> in memory of the content within the
			marked area, <emphasis>Pasting</emphasis> the copy back from memory
			onto the canvas, or opening a dialogue window for
			<emphasis>Text</emphasis>, which will deploy a new selection area just
			large enough to hold the snippet of text specified using the dialogue
			window.
		</para>
		<para>
			The final group lists miscellaneous actions: <emphasis>Undo</emphasis>
			an editing step, <emphasis>Redo</emphasis> an undone step,
			<emphasis>Transform</emphasis> the overall colour settings,
			<emphasis>Pan</emphasis> the window across the canvas
			(a miniature window is shown with a pane whose movements are controlled
			by the arrow keys), or finally, set the <emphasis>Scaling</emphasis>
			of the canvas.
		</para>
		<para>
			Some of the icons have the property of becoming dimmed if the action is
			not accessible at a particular moment, indicating that
			<command>&prog;</command> is in an inapproriate mode, that no editing
			steps can be undone/redone, or that no in-memory content exists.
		</para>
	</refsect1>

	<refsect1 id="select.mode.en">
		<title>Making and using selections</title>
		<para>
			The <emphasis>Selection</emphasis> main mode is intended for grabbing
			and manipulating portions of the full canvas. It can itself be thought
			of as being divided into three further states:
			<variablelist>
				<varlistentry>
					<term>Resting</term>
					<listitem>
						<para>
							is indicated by a cross-hairs icon and happens when no corner
							marker has been set.
						</para>
					</listitem>
				</varlistentry>
				<varlistentry>
					<term>Marking</term>
					<listitem>
						<para>
							shows one out of four corner icons. They all indicate how the
							next point selected will be used to lay down a rectangle together with
							the previously set corner. To get a feeling for this, it is
							best to experiment a little by moving the pointer around.
						</para>
						<para>
							A corner is set by left clicking, and two set corners show up
							as a rectangle outlined by dashed lines. A right click will
							cancel all corners, and will return to the resting state.
						</para>
					</listitem>
				</varlistentry>
				<varlistentry>
					<term>Moving</term>
					<listitem>
						<para>
							means that the pointer is hovering above a selected area,
							and that this area may be moved around. The icon consists
							of two crossed double-ended arrows, but can look similar
							to a diamond shape with four small, internal squares.
						</para>
						<para>
							The selected area can be moved around using the keyboard
							shortcuts (see <xref linkend="keyboard.shortcuts.en"/>),
							or by holding the left mouse button down and moving the
							pointer around.
						</para>
					</listitem>
				</varlistentry>
			</variablelist>
		</para>
	</refsect1>

	<refsect1 id="brush-colour.panel.en" xreflabel="Brushes/Colours panel">
		<title>The Brushes/Colours panel</title>
		<para>
			Here the user chooses a brush and colour for painting, or colour only
			for flood filling. The upper part of the panel holds the ten different
			brushes, six solid and four thin ones. The solid brushes can give a
			square or a round outline in any of three thicknesses. Out of the four
			available thin brushes, the smallest is so thin as to paint one pixel
			at a time, making possible very accurate brush work. The other three
			are of larger sizes, but they all colour pixels in a random fashion
			within their outline, so they act somewhat like staining a surface.
		</para>
		<para>
			In the lower part of the panel there are twenty buttons displaying a
			palette of available colours. Clicking on any of these chooses the
			corresponding colour for painting, until it is replaced.
		</para>
		<para>
			An elongated button, between the upper and the lower areas, will
			always display the active colour, and has a further useful function.
			Clicking the left mouse button on it will summon a colour editor.
			This allows the user to blend a new colour, which will, once accepted,
			replace the colour that was previously active.
		</para>
	</refsect1>

	<refsect1 id="stamp.panel.en" xreflabel="Stamps panel">
		<title>The Stamps panel</title>
		<para>
			This extra panel, at the bottom of the program window, comes to
			life only if <command>&prog;</command> was launched using the
			command line switch <option>-stamps</option>, followed by the
			names of existing image files. The displayed size of any thumbnail
			image is determined by the switch <option>-thumb</option>, or
			set to 40 pixels in both width and height.
		</para>
		<para>
			If the user left-clicks on a thumbnail image, a copy of the
			image will appear in the middle of the canvas, with the size
			of the original image, not that of the thumbnail. The copy is
			in fact only a marked area (see <xref linkend="select.mode.en"/>),
			and can be moved around at will with the left mouse button,
			until a final right click will deposit a copy on the canvas.
			The marked area is still sitting on top, so it may again be moved
			around to make additional imprints.
		</para>
	</refsect1>

	<refsect1 id="copy.cut.paste.en">
		<title>Copying, cutting, and pasting</title>
		<para>
			&software; handles cut-and-paste a little differently from most
			similar applications. To make it easier to avoid mistakes, here is
			a description of how to manipulate chunks of the canvas.
		</para>
		<para>
			When a rectangular portion of the canvas has been selected, it is
			possible to perform the action <emphasis>Copy</emphasis>. It will take
			the content of the marked area and save it in-memory for later access.
		</para>
		<para>
			When doing a <emphasis>Cut</emphasis>, the marked area is emptied of
			its content, so it will appear as a black rectangle, but the removed
			portion will be remembered as in-memory content which remains available
			for pasting back. Observe that copying and cutting can only be performed
			in <emphasis>Selection</emphasis> mode, since a selected area must exist
			for either action to be sensible.
		</para>
		<para>
			On the other hand, the act of <emphasis>Pasting</emphasis> is possible
			mode. When the pasting action is triggered (by icon or by key stroke)
			the in-memory content is dropped onto the window and it will lie centred
			on the canvas. It will not yet be painted on the canvas, as it is only
			casting a shadow to display its contents, but it is ready to move into
			position before being imprinted on the canvas. The movement itself
			was described in <xref linkend="select.mode.en"/>
		</para>
	</refsect1>

	<refsect1 id="keyboard.shortcuts.en">
		<title>Keyboard shortcuts</title>
		<para>
			Some handy keyboard shortcuts are available. The keys
			in pre-determined steps. The keys <keycap>+</keycap> and
			<keycap>-</keycap> give a fine-grained scaling up or down.
		</para>
		<para>
			Any <keycap>Arrow</keycap> key moves the mouse pointer in small
			steps across the canvas; steps which can be made larger by pressing
			<keycombo action="press">
			</keycombo>.
			When instead using
			<keycombo action="press">
			</keycombo>,
			the whole canvas will shift in the implied direction.
		</para>
		<variablelist>
			<title>Actions</title>
			<varlistentry>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Change scaling to fixed levels.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Scale up, scale down.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Summon the <emphasis>Transform colour</emphasis> dialogue.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Summon the <emphasis>Pan Window</emphasis> dialogue.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Select <emphasis>Flood fill</emphasis> mode.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Select <emphasis>Paint</emphasis> mode.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<listitem>
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Activate <emphasis>Make Selection</emphasis> mode.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Summon the <emphasis>Text paste</emphasis> dialogue.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<term>
					<keycombo action="press">
						<keycap>Ctrl</keycap>
						<keycap>C</keycap>
					</keycombo>
				</term>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Make an in-memory <emphasis>Copy</emphasis> of the marked area.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<term>
					<keycombo action="press">
						<keycap>Ctrl</keycap>
						<keycap>N</keycap>
					</keycombo>
				</term>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Prepare a <emphasis>New image</emphasis>, including a sizing
						dialogue.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<term>
					<keycombo action="press">
						<keycap>Ctrl</keycap>
						<keycap>O</keycap>
					</keycombo>
				</term>
				<listitem>
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<term>
					<keycombo action="press">
						<keycap>Ctrl</keycap>
						<keycap>P</keycap>
					</keycombo>
				</term>
				<listitem>
						of the canvas.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<term>
					<keycombo action="press">
						<keycap>Ctrl</keycap>
						<keycap>S</keycap>
					</keycombo>
				</term>
				<listitem>
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<term>
					<keycombo action="press">
						<keycap>Ctrl</keycap>
						<keycap>Shift</keycap>
						<keycap>S</keycap>
					</keycombo>
				</term>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Save the image in a file, choosing a <emphasis>new name</emphasis>.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<term>
					<keycombo action="press">
						<keycap>Ctrl</keycap>
						<keycap>X</keycap>
					</keycombo>
				</term>
				<listitem>
						the canvas (keeping an in-memory copy).
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<term>
					<keycombo action="press">
						<keycap>Ctrl</keycap>
						<keycap>Y</keycap>
					</keycombo>
				</term>
				<listitem>
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<term>
					<keycombo action="press">
						<keycap>Ctrl</keycap>
						<keycap>Z</keycap>
					</keycombo>
				</term>
				<listitem>
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
		</variablelist>

		<variablelist>
			<title>Movement</title>
			<varlistentry>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Move pointer slightly.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<term>
					<keycombo action="press">
						<keycap>Shift</keycap>
						<keycap>Arrow</keycap>
					</keycombo>
				</term>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Move pointer in larger steps.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<term>
					<keycombo action="press">
						<keycap>Ctrl</keycap>
						<keycap>Arrow</keycap>
					</keycombo>
				</term>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Move canvas rather than pointer.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Go to the top of the canvas.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<term>
					<keycombo action="press">
						<keycap>Ctrl</keycap>
						<keycap>Home</keycap>
					</keycombo>
				</term>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Go to the far left of the canvas.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Move the canvas up or down, one page at a time.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
			<varlistentry>
				<term>
					<keycombo action="press">
						<keycap>Ctrl</keycap>
						<keycap>PgUp</keycap>
					</keycombo>,
					<keycombo action="press">
						<keycap>Ctrl</keycap>
						<keycap>PgDn</keycap>
					</keycombo>
				</term>
				<listitem>
					<para>
						Move the canvas left or right, one page at a time.
					</para>
				</listitem>
			</varlistentry>
		</variablelist>
	</refsect1>

	<refsect1 id="customised.icons.en">
		<title>Customised task icons</title>
		<para>
			There is a built-in facility for customising the appearance of the task
			icons as they appear in the <xref linkend="task.panel.en"/>.
			This is mostly an issue for the administrators of kiosk systems or similar,
			not for the casual user. It can also make sense to use this in the
			command string registered for <command>&prog;</command> within the
			<systemitem class="osname">&debian;</systemitem> menu subsystem,
			on machines where menu access is the only way users are expected to
			launch the program. See next section for the details.
		</para>
	</refsect1>

	<refsect1>
		<title>Files</title>
		<para>
			At launch time, <command>&prog;</command> will record the current
			working directory as the default location for fetching and storing
			image files. This is the directory suggested every time a file
			dialogue is brought into action. Using the command line option
			<option>-d</option>, it is possible to set another location.
			A reasonable choice is
			for accessing the home directory of the user.
		</para>
		<para>
			The command line switch	<option>-svg</option> allows a directory to be
			specified where <command>&prog;</command> should look for particular
			vector image files in SVG format. Their names must all be of the form
			&quot;stock-XXX.svg&quot;, where the <replaceable>XXX</replaceable>
			is one of the following key words: new, open, save, saveas, cut, copy,
			paste, undo, redo, text, paint, fill, select, sun, or zoom.
			Each will provide an icon for the corresponding function in the top panel.
			A missing icon will be replaced by a default choice, but there is
			no guarantee that the fallback icon will be unique, or be relevant
			for the intended purpose.
		</para>
	</refsect1>

	<!-- Colophon -->

	<refsect1>
		<title>Homepage</title>
		<para>
			<ulink url="http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/rgbpaint.html"/>
		</para>
	</refsect1>

	<refsect1>
		<title>
			See also
		</title>
		<para>
			<citerefentry>
				<refentrytitle>mtpaint</refentrytitle>
				<manvolnum>1</manvolnum>
			</citerefentry>, &software;'s more featureful relative.
		</para>
	</refsect1>

	<refsect1>
		<title>Program Authors</title>
		<para>
			Mark Tyler, Dmitry Groshev
		</para>
	</refsect1>

	<refsect1>
		<title>Manual Authors</title>
		<para>
			The original manual page stub was taken as starting point for a
			complete rewrite as Docbook source, and was substantially extended
			by &namn; and &namn2;. The new format was chosen in order to simplify
			translations, and was originally intended for use by the &debian; project,
			but the text may be used by others. Permission is granted to copy,
			distribute and/or modify this document under the same terms as
			<emphasis>&software;</emphasis> itself.
		</para>
	</refsect1>
</refentry>