Re: #588510: rename thin-client-server profile

Holger Levsen wrote:
[...]
> So we need a new name. ltsp-server is not a good one, because the technology
> used could change again tomorrow. (In fact, since a few days these servers
> _also_ allow access via remote desktop, a totally different technology.)
>
> So, my current proposals for a new name are:
>
> - GUI server
> - desktop server
> - console server

In reverse order:
 - I would rule out "console server" just because "console" is so
	ambiguous (anything from "text-only" to "Wii");
 - "desktop server" is good -  I suppose "desktop" also has the
	interpretation "pizza-box form-factor", but it should be
	obvious that this couldn't be an installer option;
 - and while obviously you can't call it "X server", "GUI server" is
	good too.

I suppose the difference between "GUI" and "desktop" is that the GUI
is just a software layer, while the desktop metaphor invites you to
think of it as the place where your files are stored; that ambiguity
seems appropriate here.

> Other, better suggestions?

I've got some other, mostly worse suggestions:

 - fat-server (too late for that one);
 - login-server (no, the main-server does all the authentication);
 - central-server (as a coverterm for centralised processing/storage,
	but this risks sounding more "main" than the "main-server");
 - cluster-server (the whole thing being an LTSP cluster);
 - terminal-server (from the expansion of LTSP).

LTSP is another of those L- initialisms where the package also
installs perfectly happily on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD!