Re: wireshark deboconf template modification proposal

2010/6/20 Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org>:
> Quoting Justin B Rye (jbr@edlug.org.uk):
>> Template: wireshark-common/install-setuid
>> Type: boolean
>> Default: false
>
> Maybe "unprivileged users"?
>
> This is often what we use to talk about non root users.
>
> Technically speaking, as users are required to be member of the
> "wireshark" group they'll have some privilege, though....so they won't
> be as "unprivileged" as suggested.
Yes, this is why I avoided this expression.

>>  Dumpcap can be installed in a way that allows members of the "wireshark"
>>  system group to capture packets. This is recommended over the
>>  alternative of running Wireshark/Tshark directly as superuser, because
>>  less of the code will run with elevated privileges.
>
> "as superuser": why not "as root"? Most other such templates don't use
> synonyms for root. We do that in French translations, on the basis
> that, while "root" is OK for English-speaking environment, it is less
> meaningful in translated environments.
OK, I'll use "as root" in English.

> All other suggestions by Justin are fine by me.
>
> Of course, Bálint, if you do this change, I guess you'll run a
> translation update round, right? :-)
Yes, this is why I simplified the template and pushed more information
to the README. :-)
I would like to avoid running the update round too often. ;-)

Thanks for the comments, I'll incorporate the changes in the template.

Cheers,
Balint