Re: news about debian-women wiki

David Prévot wrote:
> Ana Guerrero announced that the migration of the Debian-Women wiki into
> the Debian wiki is now complete. There is still a little bit of work to
> do: if you want to contribute, take a look at the migration TODO list.

Aioanei's s/:/;/ looks plausible, but I'm siding with Francis on
keeping "there's".

> Another proposition for the last phrase:
>
> "contribution are welcome, accordingly to the migration TODO list"
               ^s            ~~~~~~~~~~~
Presumably you mean something like "in accordance with".  The
nearest natural way of saying it that I can find is "contributions
consistent with the migration TODO list are welcome", but that feels
like nagging, so stick with the original version above.

>>> I think it's an error
>>> to link something from a verb [1] (for accessibility purpose: the user
>>> is supposed to be linked from a meaningful non verbal phrase, since the
>>> link is not doing any action). I use to act this way in the French
>>> translation, is it fine if I modify existing links in the DPN to fit
>>> this usage?
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/noClickHere
>>
>> You're right, David! It seems more correct to not use a verb as a label
>> for a link.

That w3.org tip doesn't prohibit verbs; it prohibits verb *phrases*,
which are a different syntactic constituent.  The only justification
it gives for this taboo is a bunch of Further Reading links, none of
which mention verbs or nouns.

By all means let's avoid "click here", but don't avoid it for its
syntax - avoid it for its semantics, concentrating on irrelevant
mechanics instead of giving any clue where the link leads.  It would
be just as bad to link on the text "this clickable link".  I should
also like to draw your attention to the Berners-Lee links in the
Further Reading section: "Avoid talking about mechanics" and "Make
your (hyper)text readable".  Those are both imperative verb phrases,
syntactically parallel to "click here", but they make perfectly good
link texts!  And the rest of the site uses links like "search",
"read more", "log in", and "contact w3c" wherever such verb phrases
seem the best semantic fit.

Nouns tend to be both the most obvious and the most informative
anchors for links.  However, when the text says "so-and-so asked
whether [long indirect quote]", there's no need to jam in "the
question" just so that there's a noun to hang the link off.  If you
use "asked" as the anchor, I'm pretty sure readers will understand
that the link goes to the scene of the communicative event itself,
in the form of an archived blog or mailing list post.
--
JBR - and today's single word in West Greenlandic is:
Allattuivvissaaliqisarsimaqaanga "I was really short of notebooks"