Re: Counting the troops

Hi,

On Thursday 19 February 2009, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Ben Finney (ben+debian@benfinney.id.au):
> > Nevertheless, the message subject fields are quite off-putting and
> > look spammy. Without a clear Subject field that tells the human reader
> > why the message is of interest, it's likely to be skipped more often
> > than you might like. Hence my suggestion for improvement.
>
> Probably 90% of the list is made of such messages and the same stands
> for all -l10n-* mailing lists. And, really, so far, no complain came
> about this so it would need a very loud noise by many readers to
> change a system that has been proving to work..:-)

Well, I could chime in with Ben here. Most of the recent Finnish debconf
translations have been made by me. I have sent copies of them to
debian-l10n-finnish just to tell people what is being done. I have thought of
using the robot-readable-subjects (mostly for my own amusement), but have not
used them because they would be uncomprehensible for a random reader of the
d-l-finnish. My mails are already currently nearly spam to those people on
the list. With weird subjects they would be even more (and wouldn't encourage
other people to do more translations).

Our situation is of course quite different from the more active teams which
have need for coordination. However, if the subject would be

[RFR] Please review the debconf templates of sa-exim

instead of

[RFR] templates://sa-exim/{templates}

wouldn't it be at least as good for all the human readers?

Maybe I'm missing some point because I haven't tried those subjects in
practice.

Cheers,
Edu

--
Esko Arajärvi - edu@iki.fi - +358-50-5446844
"Only idiots quote signatures." -Antti Kuntsi (at his .sig)