Re: Request review of gpdftext package description

Esko Arajärvi wrote:
> On Saturday 26 December 2009, Neil Williams wrote:
>> The current Debian package description is:
>>  gpdftext opens a simple text-based PDF file, typically
>>  intended for reading on an ebook reader and loads the
>>  text into a text editor window, autoformatting the text
>>  for long lines and paragraph breaks.
>
> This first paragraph can be misleading as it explains the use of PDFs before
> telling what the program does to them. I think it is safe to assume that people
> who look for PDF viewers (or editors) know what ebook PDFs are used for.
> Therefore you could just say something like:
>
> "The gPDFText reformats ebook PDFs for easier reading. It loads the text content
> of simple text-based PDF files into a text editor window, autoformatting the
> text for long lines and paragraph breaks. The text can be then exported to
> another PDF file for reading."

Drop that initial "The" (never mind the odd initial gP).  It seems
to me it could do with fewer instances of the word "text", though.
In particular "text-based" seems a bit redundant; are there ebook
PDFs that _aren't_ primarily text?

Leave out the bit about exporting to a new PDF document - that's
only a secondary function.

>>  .
>>  gpdftext is useful when the downloaded PDF uses a small
>>  font or wastes a lot of space in the margins so that
>>  a plain text file would display in a more comfortable
>>  font.
>>  .
>>  gpdftext supports spell checking and editor font selection
>>  and can save ASCII content as PDF.

Too many paragraphs starting with "gpdftext".  How about:

  gPDFText reformats ebook PDFs for easier reading. It loads the text content
  of PDF documents into a GTK+ text editor window, handling the formatting of
  paragraphs automatically. This can make the text more readable if the
  downloaded PDF uses a small font or wastes a lot of space in the margins.
  .
  It also supports spell checking and editor font selection, and can export
  ASCII content to PDF.

(When you say "ASCII", does this really mean that for instance it
will choke on weird foreign names like "Emily Brontë"?)