Re: [LCFC] templates://sysvinit/{sysv-rc.templates}

[Justin B Rye]
> The argument that convinced me was the one about enabling
> concurrency.  I don't know how much it really improved my booting
> speed (it was probably switching to dash that had the most effect),
> but CONCURRENCY=shell got all the credit because it had the most
> visible impact.

Good to hear.  If you like the speed of CONCURRENCY=shell, you should
try CONCURRENCY=makefile. :) But be aware that it require close to
perfect dependency information in the init.d scripts. :)

> How about if we boiled down the reasons to something like this:

I like this better. :) But I must admit, that to me the chance of
getting a correct boot sequence and fix a lot of long standing bugs in
the boot and shutdown ordering is most important.  I guess there is no
need to write the messages with focus on what would convince me. :)

> Then in the README perhaps it would be a good idea to separate the
> user-oriented and developer-oriented advantages, since only the
> former are really relevant to admins trying to decide whether to
> migrate.  Here's another attempt at a rewrite:

Sound good. :)

> By the way, did anybody ever find out why insserv is called insserv?

I have no idea. :)

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen