Re: meta-pedantry [Was: Re: Help to improve new package (djmount)]

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 01:55:48PM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:
> Chris Bannister wrote:
>
> Wait a minute, you mean other people are reading this stuff?

Umm, yeah. :) I found the discussion concerning "filesystem" and "file
system" interesting. Personally, I prefer "filesystem". "file system"
seems too generic -- is it an office "file system" -- whereas
"filesystem" automatically conjures up an image of a file system used
on a hard disk. Then I saw jargonism ...

> > On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 09:51:56PM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:
> >> This is a strange thing to be skeptical about.  You do at least
> >> recognise that they see it as a jargonism?  They can tell that from
> >
> > What is the difference between "that they see it as a jargonism?" and
> > "that they see it as jargon?" IMNSHO, the latter would be correct.
>
> If I say "filesystem" is "jargon", I'm pointing at a characteristic
> of the word itself; if I say it's "a jargonism", I'm pointing at the

----
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/open-search.xml:

jargonism
             0.23 sec.

Word not found in the Dictionary and Encyclopedia. Did you mean:

Jargonium jargonist jargonise
---

but there is also http://technorati.com/tag/jargonism where it is being
used as a tag.