Re: help to improve the tango package.

Le Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:55:05 +0100,
Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk> a écrit :

> Picca Frédéric-Emmanuel wrote:
> >> This boilerplate might be better if it gave some hint about what
> >> TANGO is, but that's not really essential.
> >
> > In fact TANGO is a sort of software bug that let process runing on
> > different computers communicate using the CORBA layer.
>
> [Do you mean s/bug/kludge/?]

I don't know why this bug things is in my sentance.

> > But writing
> > directly is difficult, TANGO hide this CORBA layer and propose
> > a simpler way to exchange information between process. All TANGO
> > object are like C++ Object with attributes and methods.
> > the interface of a Tango devices is made of 2 different things
> > - attributes of different types (double, float , int ...) and
> > (scalar, spectrum, image) so an attribute can be an image of double
> > (2 dimensions) or an spectrum of int (1 dimension)
> > - commands that can be called from other devices.
>
> This may be a good explanation for C++ developers of how the API is
> implemented, but the reason you went to all the trouble of hiding
> the CORBA layer is that users shouldn't need to know about it!  So
> instead of talking about CORBA in the description for packages like
> tango-db, could you include a few words to explain what "TANGO
> devices" are (in terms of what they're for)?
>
> They seem to be software objects designed to represent categories of
> hardware devices; but if the hardware it's being used for is
> particle accelerators, isn't that also worth mentioning somewhere?

Yes but not only hardware, some devices are doing only calculation. So
Maybe the best way to explain peoples what is TANGO, is to forgot about
CORBA and speak about services.

what about this ?

 TANGO is an object oriented distributed control system. It allows
 process running on the same computer or distributed over the
 network to communicate. The purpose of those process, called
 TANGO device, is to provide service to the control system all
 over the network (hardware control, calculation capabilities, ...)
 .
 This package provides a TANGO database device using MySQL.

> > In TANGO all objects are representations of devices process,
>
> Perhaps you mean "representations of device processes"?  But you're
> taking it for granted that readers understand what a device process
> is, and if they're at all like me, they won't.

:))) ok I am to involve in the TANGO community. I will do my best to
explain clearly wath are thoses devices.