Re: [RFR] templates://glide/{libglide2.templates,libglide3.templates}

Quoting Justin B Rye (jbr@edlug.org.uk):

> > Mostly because of the rewording, but I think that both have the same
> > weight. "Please report" or "you should report" have, IMHO, the same
> > level of urgency.
>
> I like the "should" version.  You introduced a "please" to mark the
> action that the user is being asked to make a decision about, which
> is a common convention in templates.  Having another "please" in the
> same template might distract from that; saying "you should" turns it
> into part of the factual background information (it's their duty as
> well-behaved members of the community!) instead.

So, I kept "our" version...

> > This is something we discussed in former reviews. The standard for
> > en_US is definitely double quotes for quoting and our reviews are
> > standardized on en_US spelling and typography....even if the main
> > reviewers are British (except /me of course)..:-)
>
> I'm happy to standardise things in either direction.  I've never
> seen any particular evidence that modern en_GB users as a whole
> prefer singlequotes, especially when typing on keyboards with
> perfectly good <"> keysyms that would otherwise go unused.
>
> A harder question is whether we'd "correct" UTF-8 curlyquotes.

...which is not the case here..:-)

So, Guillem, based on that rationale, I'd prefer keeping the double quotes.

> >> I'd prefer something like "this pakages becomes not useful", instead
> >> of "useless", the latter seems pretty strong. :)
> >
> > OK. Would seem fair. Justin, is "becomes not useful" the right way to
> > write it in English ?
>
> Try "this package will not be useful".

Adopted.

> >> Or "file a bug report"?
> >
> > My original intent was that "file a bug" is kind of jargonic. I think
> > that "filing" something might also be hard to understand for someone
> > not very savvy with usual jargon, but I might be wrong, here.
>
> "File a bug" is verging on jargon, but "file a bug report" and
> "report a bug" seem equally good to me.

"file a bug report" adopted as Guillem is more comfortable with it.

> >> Please use '*'. I've always got the impression that was the most used
> >> itemization style in Debian, the recent numbers posted on debian-devel
> >> confirms that, and I'm guessing the Smith project in a way might have
> >> slightly turned the balance on those numbers.
> >
> > I followed that discussion and I understand the argument.
> >
> > I would prefer an argument from a typographical reference here.
> >
> > I think that the best reference for this would be the Chicago Manual
> > of Style. I suspect we might end up with asterisks, though.
>
> In printed publications of course the standard is to use genuine
> U+2022 bullet points, not asterisks.  If we're sticking to things
> we've got on our keyboards, asterisks make sense since after all
> they're the most "bulletlike" character we've got and aren't useful
> for much else.  But minuses and pluses work too.

The point here is that Guillem is somewhat right about asterisks being
more used (see -devel) but we "slowly" enforced minuses so reverting
this might be kinda inconsistent.

I'm balanced here: no solution is really good... I may have a very
small peference for using asterisks as of now on the basis of current
practice...and too bad for the already reviewed descriptions and
templates..:-|

> >> Why? I don't have a strong feeling about it, but it seems to make it
> >> easier to visually mark this kind of out-of-band dependency information.
> >
> > In general, the reasoning is that separating in a paragraph is enough
> > for the notice to be visible and we do our best to discourage the use
> > of all-capitals letters (yelling, etc.). That also goes with a general
> > stance where texts should be as neutral as possible and avoid carrying
> > "emotional" charge...
>
> What makes the kernel requirements "out-of-band" and the hardware
> requirements "in-band"(?), anyway?
>
> The real problem is that everything you say in a package description
> _could_ be preceded by a "NOTE" prefix.  This one was already a
> prime example of note proliferation, since there's three successive
> paragraphs start with "Note", "Also note", "NOTE:"!

OK. So I left the "NOTE" aside.

New files attached.

Template: libglide3/no_card
Type: boolean
Default: false
 No 3Dfx card that is supported by glide3 was found. This package
 supports cards based on the following 3Dfx chipsets: Voodoo
 Banshee, Voodoo 3, Voodoo 4, and Voodoo 5.
 .
 If the graphics card in this computer does not use one of these
 chipsets, and you are not compiling programs against glide,
 this package will not be useful.
 .
 If the graphics card is based on one of these chipsets, you
 should file a bug report against this package, including the output from the
 "lspci -vm" command.
 .
 Please choose whether you want to manually select the driver to use for now.

Template: libglide3/driver
Type: select
Choices: h3, h5
Default: ${default}
 Please select the driver you would like to use for 3D acceleration:
  - h3: Voodoo Banshee and Voodoo 3;
  - h5: Voodoo 4 and Voodoo 5.

Template: libglide3/card
Type: select
Choices: ${choices}
 Multiple 3Dfx-based cards were detected based on one of the
 following 3Dfx chipsets: Voodoo 2, Voodoo Banshee, Voodoo 3, Voodoo 4, and Voodoo 5.
 .
 Please select the card you would like to use for 3D acceleration.

Template: libglide3/error
Type: note
 ${e2}
Template: libglide2/no_card
Type: boolean
Default: false
 No 3Dfx card that is supported by glide2 was found. This package
 supports cards based on the following 3Dfx chipsets: Voodoo 2,
 Voodoo Banshee, and Voodoo 3.
 .
 If the graphics card in this computer does not use one of these
 chipsets, and you are not compiling programs against glide,
 this package will not be useful.
 .
 If the graphics card is based on one of these chipsets, you
 should file a bug report against this package, including the output from the
 "lspci -vm" command.
 .
 Please choose whether you want to manually select the driver to use for now.

Template: libglide2/driver
Type: select
Choices: cvg, h3
Default: ${default}
 Please select the driver you would like to use for 3D acceleration:
  - cvg: Voodoo 2;
  - h3 : Voodoo Banshee and Voodoo 3.

Template: libglide2/card
Type: select
Choices: ${choices}
 Multiple 3Dfx-based cards were detected based on one of the
 following 3Dfx chipsets: Voodoo 2, Voodoo Banshee, and Voodoo 3.
 .
 Please select the card you would like to use for 3D acceleration.

Template: libglide2/error
Type: note
 ${e2}
Source: glide
Section: libs
Build-Depends: dbs (>= 0.25), debhelper (>= 5), autoconf, automake,
 libtool (>= 1.5), libx11-dev, libxext-dev, libxxf86dga-dev, libxxf86vm-dev
Build-Conflicts: automake1.4
Maintainer: Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>
Homepage: http://glide.sf.net/
Vcs-Browser: http://git.hadrons.org/?p=debian/pkgs/glide.git
Vcs-Git: git://git.hadrons.org/git/debian/pkgs/glide.git
Standards-Version: 3.7.3

Package: glide2-bin
Section: graphics
Architecture: i386
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
Suggests: device3dfx-module, device3dfx-source
 This is a support package which should be installed if you use a
 card based on 3dfx Interactive, Inc's Voodoo chipsets.

Package: libglide2
Section: libs
Architecture: i386
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}, pciutils
Recommends: glide2-bin
Suggests: device3dfx-module, device3dfx-source
Conflicts: libglide2
 This package allows you to use the 3D functions of cards based on
 3dfx Interactive, Inc's Voodoo 2 chipsets. You should install it if
 you use such a card.
 .
 This package is not useful with Voodoo Banshee, Voodoo 3,
 Voodoo 4, or Voodoo 5 cards, and the original Voodoo Graphics chipset
 is no longer supported.
 .
 You'll need the 3dfx kernel driver to use this library.

Package: libglide2-dev
Section: libdevel
Architecture: i386
Depends: libglide2
Provides: libglide-dev
Conflicts: llibglide-dev
 This package contains the header files, example programs, and
 documentation necessary to develop software using libglide2.

Package: libglide3
Section: libs
Architecture: i386 alpha ia64 amd64
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}, pciutils
Provides: libglide3-alpha
Replaces: libglide3-alpha, libglide3-dev
Conflicts: libglide3, libglide3-alpha
 This package allows you to use the 3D functions of cards based on
 3dfx Interactive, Inc's Voodoo Banshee, Voodoo 3, Voodoo 4, and
 Voodoo 5 chipsets.
 You should install it if you use such a card.
 .
 This package does not need 3dfx, as it uses DRI instead.

Package: libglide3-dev
Section: libdevel
Architecture: i386 alpha ia64 amd64
Depends: libglide3
Provides: libglide-dev, libglide3-alpha-dev
Replaces: libglide2-dev, libglide3-alpha-dev
Conflicts: libglide3-alpha-dev
 This package contains the header files, example programs, and
 documentation necessary to develop software using libglide3.