Re: Release Notes - upgrading.po

Martin Bagge wrote:
>> While doing updates to upgrading.po I found this in english:
>> "Both packages will enable a new network service in the system although
>> they can both be configured to be bound to the (internal) loopback network
>> device."
>> (regarding libfam0, FAM and portmap)
>>
>> It states that BOTH packages will enabled a service (is this ONE service
>> or one service PER package?), the other half of the sentences states that
>> both services will be bound to the loopback iface. I'll stick with two
>> services in my translation but the text should probably be revisited by
>> -english.
>
> This is a problem of two grounds.
>  - How does these two packages work?
>  - What does the sentence really mean?
>
> Without the first I am not able to exactly decipher the sentence and make
> a good and accurate translation.

Thanks for bringing this to debian-l10n-english; as a native-speaker
it would never have occurred to me see an ambiguity here.  It's one
service per package, and one configured binding per service.

(To prove the point: packages don't bind to interfaces, individual
services do.  So the second "both" has to mean "each service,
independently".  And if there are multiple services, the first
"both" must also be saying that each package enables a separate
service.)

If the intended meaning had been "both, acting as one" then I would
have expected it to be phrased as something like "Together, the two
packages will enable...".

Mind you, the text does have a faint non-native-speakerish flavour,
since "service" in the first line is singular.  Where the sense is
"one each" it's more normal in English (but not quite compulsory) to
use a plural - "we both have noses".  Too late to change that!