Re: [RFR] templates://netselect/{templates}

Quoting Justin B Rye (jbr@edlug.org.uk):

> > I'm not entirely happy with that pile of words but the original
> > synopsis is definitely going against all recommendantions (full verb
> > sentence mostly)
>
> The plural "servers" is awkward, but then again singular "server"
> would be misleading... maybe (planning ahead):

Great.

> > + This package provides a utility allowing to perform
> > + parallelized "ping" tests to distant servers.
>
> Disallowed.

/me mumbles about that "allow" verb...:-)

>     This package provides a utility that can perform parallelized "ping"
>     tests on distant servers.
>
> > + It can process a (possibly very long) list of
> > + servers, and choose the fastest/closest one automatically.
>
> Wait, where did the Squid neighbou^Hr bit go?

To the trashcan. That was intended. I'm not convinced by giving 2 or 3
examples: why those ones and not others and why not just left it to
the intelligence of the reader to figure out what such utility could
be good about?

>     It can process a (possibly very long) list of servers, and choose the
>     fastest/closest one automatically. It's useful for finding the fastest
>     ftp.debian.org mirror, the least laggy IRC server, or the best Squid
>     neighbor.

I'd still drop the second sentence. Moreover, "finding the fastest
Debian mirror" is better tied in the next package description...

> >  Package: netselect-apt
> >  Architecture: all
> >  Depends: wget, netselect (>= 0.3.ds1-1)
> >  Enhances: apt
> > - netselect-apt will choose the fastest Debian mirror by downloading the full
> > - mirror list and uses netselect to find the best one. netselect-apt writes a
> >
> > I'm not entirely happy here too. Beginning with "Debian" enforces the
> > use of a capital, which is discouraged. Maybe Justin will find
> > something better.
>
> There's nothing wrong with it happening to be upper case, if it's a
> word that's naturally capitalised; the issue is just that short
> descriptions aren't punctuated as sentences, so they don't _cause_
> capitalisation on a naturally lowercase word.  But as it happens,
> shuffling it to match the previous one avoids the issue:

Yes.

My point in avoiding a leading capital is to try having an ideal list
of packages descriptions in Debian clean from capitals.

> > + This package provides a utility allowing to choose the fastest Debian mirror by downloading the full
> > + mirror list and using netselect to find the fastest one.
>
> Likewise disallowed:
>     This package provides a utility that can choose the best Debian mirror
>     by downloading the full mirror list and using netselect to find the
>     fastest/closest one.
>
> > + .
> > + It can output a
> >   sources.list(5) file that can be used with apt(8).
>
> apt(8) is pretty useless.  Maybe we should say apt-get(8)?

Or "that can be used with APT" which would mean "the entire crowd of
utilities built around APT stuff" as this also includes aptitude,
indeed.

Could also be "that can be used by package management tools, such as
apt or aptitude"