Re: Hyphenation rules

Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
> Dear l10n-english team,

I know nothing much about TeX hyphenation algorithms, and the style
of hyphenation I'm accustomed to is en_GB rather than en_US, so I'll
probably be of limited assistance here - anyone else about?

> I'm working on the german translation of the release notes and found
> some english words that were hyphenated -- and probably wrong. To avoid
> hyphenation (or correct it) Martin inserted a de/hyphenation.tex file
> where we can specify hyphenation for words that don't fit german
> hyphenation rules.
> At the moment we have this list:
>
> apt-file

Already has a hyphen in the only place you can put one.  (I'll use
"·" to represent "soft" hyphens below.)

> Sarge
> sarge

Unhyphenatable.

> uname

Unhyphenatable (it would be "u·name"; one-letter prefixes before the
linebreak aren't allowed).

> up-grade

That should be "up·grade".

> Project

I'd be inclined to distinguish the verb, to pro·ject, from the noun,
a proj·ect, but I have no idea if that's correct, and I can't see
how TeX would automate it.

> Debian

Deb·ian would probably be okay.

> Documentation

Doc·u·ment·a·tion?

> LXDE

A four-letter acronym, so double unhyphenatable.

> Initrd
> Initrds

Tricky.  Probably unhyphenatable.

> aptitude

apt·i·tude?

> stable
> Stable

I suppose it has to be sta·ble.

> Identifier

Iden·ti·fier?

> deborphan

deb·or·phan?  The second one is arguable.

> debfoster

deb·fos·ter, ditto.  It might even be sensible to declare all
package and command names unhyphenatable.