Re: [RFC] Add support for shells in the graphical installer

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 07:49:30PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Jérémy Bobbio (lunar@debian.org):
>
> > This patch adds 6 new translatable debconf templates.  They worth a
> > review, for sure. :)
>
> Grmbl...:-)...maybe "some day", I have the hope to have a stable basis
> for our translators. These days, they're hunting a moving target...:-)

Sorry… But that should be my last template until Lenny. :)

> > +Template: debconf/terminal/gtk/child-exit
> > +Type: text
>
> Well, I don't like it..:-)
>
> Not sure what would be the best. Where is this displayed ? Inside a
> box ?

Inside the terminal to indicate that the shell is gone.  Terminal.app in
Mac OS X gave me the idea.  The output is something like:

  +---------------------------+
  | $ pwd                     |
  | /tmp                      |
  | $ exit                    |
  |                           |
  | Shell process has exited. |
  +---------------------------+

> I would sugges something like "End of shell process" or "Shell process
> terminated".
>
> Whether or not there should be a final dot depends on the context
> where this is displayed, imho.

I hope that you know have the missing bits…

In cdebconf/src/test/terminal.templates:
> > +Template: test/terminal
> > +Template: debconf/terminal/gtk/child-exit
>
> When is this displayed?

Never in the installer.  These templates are purely for internal tests.
The later should obviously be synchronized with the one given in
cdebconf-gtk-terminal.templates, though.

> > +Template: di-utils-shell/shell-plugin
> > +Type: terminal
> > +# :sl2:
>
> Make this non translatable (removing the leading "_")

Done.

> > +Template: di-utils-shell/terminal-plugin-unavailable
> > +Type: error
> > +# :sl2:
> > + This build of the debian-installer requires the terminal plugin in
> > + order to display a shell. Unfortunately, this plugin is currently
> > + unavailable.
> > + .
> > + It should be available after reaching the "Loading additional components"
> > + installation step.
> > + .
> > + ${WORKAROUND}
>
> s/unavailable/not available

Done.

> The 'terminal' plugin, which is required to open a shell, is not
> available. Please load it from the main menu in 'Loading additional
> components'.

There is no need to load it manually: it will be automatically retrieved
by the start-shell script, but the source for the udebs must be
configured in order to do so.

> > +Template: di-utils-shell/workaround-gtk
> > +Type: text
> > +# :sl2:
> > +
>
> Alternatively, you can open a shell by pression Ctrl+Alt+F2. Use
> Alt+F5 to get back to the installer.
>
> (note the single spacing between sentences)

Done.

> > +Template: rescue/initrd-shell/title
> > +Type: text
> > +# :sl2:
> > +
>
> Do we really need to specify this?
>
> I'm not sure that the "in the installer environment" is really
> meaningful for our users. When we run a shell in the text installer,
> it's in the installer's environment and we don't specify it.

The difference is significant in the rescue-mode context: two different
options are offered.  Either the shell is started from the rescued
system environment, or it is started within d-i, with the rescued system
in /target.

As the difference is not that obivous, I think it makes sense to be
specific here.

Thanks for your comments! :)

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism