Re: [RFR] urlwatch

Justin B Rye wrote:
> Franck Joncourt wrote:
>
> That's a Noun Phrase minus article, which is good DevRef-compliant
> syntax.  Mind you, strictly speaking it's a description of what the
> package generates, not a description of the package...
>
> It took me a while to realise that urlwatch doesn't literally just
> watch URLs for changes ("Oh, look, http://example.org/foo has become
> https://foo.example.org";), it monitors websites for updates to their
> (formatted) contents!  So would it be okay to change the short
> description to something like this:

That sounds better :)

> This deliberately uses slightly different words from the long
> description to make searches easier.  I've lost the headline mention
> of mail notifications, but then again, urlwatch doesn't itself
> invoke /bin/mail, does it?  It just plugs into a user's crontab like
> a sensible monitoring utility.

Yes, you are right. Urlwatch just does its main job and let the crontab
mail the user if there are any changes in the contents of a website.

> Also, you spelled e(-)mail in two different ways.

Sorry, I did not catch that one.

>>  This script is intended to help you watch URLs and get notified
>>  (via e-mail) of any changes. The change notification will include
>>  the URL that has changed and a unified diff of what has changed.
>>  The script supports stripping always-changing parts of a page
>>  through the use of a filter hook function.
>>
>> Any word/sentence you would like to change in order to improve this
>> description?
>
> The only part that feels at all odd in English-usage terms is the
> term "always-changing", which doesn't feel right at all.
> "Ever-changing" is slightly more idiomatic, but now it's got me
> worrying about whether webpages change while nobody is looking.
> Maybe it would be better to rephrase:

>   The script supports the use of a filtering hook function to strip
>   trivially-varying elements of a webpage.

I found it nice although I am not able to discuss about what is the best
between always-changing, ever-changing or trivially-varying (but I see
your point of view). I will forward upstream.

 This script is intended to help you watch URLs and get notified
 (via email) of any changes. The change notification will include the
 URL that has changed and a unified diff of what has changed. The
 script supports the use of a filtering hook function to strip
 trivially-varying elements of a webpage.

Thanks,

--
Franck Joncourt
http://debian.org - http://smhteam.info/wiki/