Re: [RFR] urlwatch

Franck Joncourt wrote:

That's a Noun Phrase minus article, which is good DevRef-compliant
syntax.  Mind you, strictly speaking it's a description of what the
package generates, not a description of the package...

It took me a while to realise that urlwatch doesn't literally just
watch URLs for changes ("Oh, look, http://example.org/foo has become
https://foo.example.org";), it monitors websites for updates to their
(formatted) contents!  So would it be okay to change the short
description to something like this:

This deliberately uses slightly different words from the long
description to make searches easier.  I've lost the headline mention
of mail notifications, but then again, urlwatch doesn't itself
invoke /bin/mail, does it?  It just plugs into a user's crontab like
a sensible monitoring utility.

Also, you spelled e(-)mail in two different ways.

>  This script is intended to help you watch URLs and get notified
>  (via e-mail) of any changes. The change notification will include
>  the URL that has changed and a unified diff of what has changed.
>  The script supports stripping always-changing parts of a page
>  through the use of a filter hook function.
>
> Any word/sentence you would like to change in order to improve this
> description?

The only part that feels at all odd in English-usage terms is the
term "always-changing", which doesn't feel right at all.
"Ever-changing" is slightly more idiomatic, but now it's got me
worrying about whether webpages change while nobody is looking.
Maybe it would be better to rephrase:

  The script supports the use of a filtering hook function to strip
  trivially-varying elements of a webpage.

--
JʙR	with qualifications in linguistics, experience as a Debian