Re: [LCFC] templates://unattended-upgrades/{templates}

On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 01:17:37PM +0000, Justin B Rye wrote:
> Christian Perrier wrote:
> > Package: unattended-upgrades
> > Architecture: all
> > Depends: python, ${shlibs:Depends}, python-apt (>= 0.7), apt-utils (>= 0.7), apt (>= 0.7), ucf
> > Suggests: mailx
> >  This package can download and install security upgrades automatically
> >  and unattended, taking care to only install packages from the
> >  configured APT source, and checking for configuration file prompts.
[..]
> >  .
> >  This script is the backend for the APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade
> >  option.
>
> (This seems like namespace-hogging to me - thanks to cron-apt I've
> been happily doing periodic unattended upgrades since before Ubuntu
> even existed...)

Fair enough, it would be easy enough to have a
apt::periodic::unattended-upgrade-command option in apt that can be
used to set the command if that is a concern.

Unattended-upgrades was designed as a simple and secure way to do
unattended upgrades (with the main use-case being security upgrades),
its not by far as flexible as cron-apt.

It has some nice features (like detection of conffile prompts and
ensuring that only stuff from pre-configured origins gets upgraded
etc). But I guess this is not the right place to discuss the merits of
the two implementations .)

Cheers,
 Michael