Re: Again: "metapackage", "meta package" or "meta-package" (Was: Accepted cdd 0.5.3 (source all))

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008, Justin B Rye wrote:

The problem with this is that "meta" as a freestanding adjective has
a different meaning - online dictionaries say things like:
# Self-referential; referring to itself or its characteristics, esp.
# as a parody; about. Example: "That book is so meta".

Yes, this is a strong argument.

I'm a native speaker of en_GB, but if my arguments don't convince
anybody, I can't claim to have more than one vote.  If there isn't a
consensus, it's too soon to make it a rule.

It's good to know that a en_GB native speaker has its opinion on this
and I would trust you more than a "voting" via existing descriptions.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de