Re: Help with brdesktop packages descriptions

Tiago Bortoletto Vaz wrote:
> (please cc me, I'm not subscribed in this list)
>
> We from BrDesktop Project need some help in our package descriptions.
> I guess this is the right place for this, please give me the way if I'm
> wrong.
>
> We are trying to follow the walters' guideline available in
> http://people.debian.org/~walters/descriptions.html

Which is good for content, but a bit misleading as a style guide.

> Package: brdesktop-common

The Developer's Reference says to omit leading articles (s/The//g).

>  This metapackage installs the common set of softwares used by different
>  BrDesktop flavours.

Calling it a metapackage suggests that I'd "apt-get install" it if I
wanted to pull in the BrDesktop "suite".  Better to call it a
"dependency package", if anything.

Software is not a count noun.  And besides, it works on the level of
Debian packages, not individual executables.

For en_US, s/flavours/flavors/g.

>  BrDesktop is a Custom Debian Distribution made for Brazilian desktop users.
>  .
>  This package is not suitable to be installed by itself, but as a BrDesktop
>  flavour's dependence.

s/dependence/dependency/, but it needs rearranging.

Merge the third paragraph with the first:

   This package is depended on by all the different BrDesktop flavors, and
   depends in turn on the common set of packages needed by BrDesktop. It is
   not useful on its own.
   .
   BrDesktop is a Custom Debian Distribution made for Brazilian desktop users.

> Package: brdesktop-gnome

s/The// (and weren't you calling them "flavours"?)

>  This metapackage installs a set of softwares selected to be used in BrDesktop,
>  which is a Custom Debian Distribution made for Brazilian desktop users.
>  .
>  It will give you a pleasant GNOME Desktop environment providing the basic
>  resources for usual Brazilan users.
>  .
>  Installing this package you also get a lot of settings which are useful only
>  for Brazilian Portuguese speakers.

s/Brazilan/Brazilian/ and s/Desktop/desktop/, but in fact I'd
rearrange it similarly:

   This package installs a selection of packages for BrDesktop, giving a
   pleasant GNOME desktop environment with the basic resources for
   ordinary Brazilian users. It is useful only to speakers of Brazilian
   Portuguese.
   .
   BrDesktop is a Custom Debian Distribution made for Brazilian desktop users.

> Package: brdesktop-config-gnome

s/Settings/settings/, but this is getting long; could we move it to
the end?

>  This package provides the GNOME settings for BrDesktop, which is a Custom
>  Debian Distribution made for Brazilian desktop users.
>  .
>  BrDesktop is a Custom Debian Distribution made for Brazilian desktop users.
>  .
>  This package is not suitable to be installed by itself, but as the BrDesktop
>  GNOME flavour's dependence.

Repetitive.

   This package provides settings for the GNOME flavor of BrDesktop. It is
   useful only as a dependency of brdesktop-gnome.
   .
   BrDesktop is a Custom Debian Distribution made for Brazilian desktop users.

> Package: brdesktop-artwork-gnome
>  This package contains themes and artwork for GNOME Desktop environment that
>  are used in BrDesktop.
>  .
>  BrDesktop is a Custom Debian Distribution made for Brazilian desktop users.
>  .
>  This package is not suitable to be installed by itself, but as the BrDesktop
>  GNOME flavour's dependence.
> Homepage: http://brdesktop.org

   This package contains themes and artwork for the GNOME flavor of BrDesktop.
   It is useful only as a dependency of brdesktop-gnome.
   .
   BrDesktop is a Custom Debian Distribution made for Brazilian desktop users.

> Package: brdesktop-artwork-usplash
>  This package installs the Usplash startup screen for BrDesktop.
>  .
>  BrDesktop is a Custom Debian Distribution made for Brazilian desktop users.
> Homepage: http://brdesktop.org

Apart from s/Graphical/graphical/, this already looks okay, though
for consistency I suppose I'd say:

Mind you, "graphical boot" seems a bit of an exaggeration to me;
is it mouse-driven, or is it just another logo like the BIOS-logo,
the Tux boot-image and Grub's /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz?