Re: [RFR] email-reminder debconf template

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your valuable comments.  I have updated the template in svn and
will post a LCFC in a few days if that's the appropriate process to follow.

> But this can't be right - it sends messages even if it hasn't got
> anything to remind anyone about?  It can guarantee that anacron will
> send them at night while my laptop is switched off?

Very true, the original message was misleading.  Good catch!

> I have to admit that this package makes little sense to me... it
> seems to putting a lot of effort into doing things that might as
> well be left to the cron infrastructure (just spew the reminders to
> STDOUT and they'll go to cronjob's owner, or to $MAILTO if you set
> that).  It's almost as if it was from some alien hell-world where OS
> installs didn't give you a mailserver by default...

Well, it's there for end-users to be able to setup some reminders themselves
without having to ask the sysadmin to fix/change mail config or to add new
cron jobs.

But you're right, on your own box, a lot of assumptions can be made to
greatly simplify the process.

Francois