Re: [RFR] templates://zephyr/{zephyr-clients.templates,zephyr-server.templates }

Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk> writes:

> Christian Perrier wrote:
>>  Package: zephyr-clients
> [...]
>> + This package provides client programs for the messaging service. They
>> + require a Zephyr server for being fully operationnal.
>
> It's only slightly wrong, but I'm not seeing a simple fix so try:
>
>     This package provides client programs for the messaging service. A
>     Zephyr server is also required.

I'm not sure the second sentence actually provides any information that the
expected audience wouldn't just assume.

>>  Package: zephyr-server
>
> (And zephyr-server-krb)
>
>> + This package provides the server for the messaging service. Only one
>> + server is needed for a group of client. The program consumes much memory,
>> + especially for very large sites.
>>   .
>>   The server maintains a location and subscription database for all the
>>   receiving clients. All zephyrgrams are sent to the server to be routed
>>   to the intended recipient.
>
> It seems to me that this is one paragraph:
>
>     This package provides the server for the messaging service, which
>     maintains a location and subscription database for all the receiving
>     clients. All zephyrgrams are sent to the server to be routed to the
>     intended recipient. This can be memory-intensive, especially for very
>     large sites, but only one server is required for a group of clients.

Dropping the line "The program consumes much memory, especially for very large sites."
Would seem clever as that just isn't true by today's memory usage standards.

>>  Package: libzephyr-dev
> [...]
>> - This package is needed to compile certain other zephyr clients. There are
>> - various other clients available, including a totally gratuitous Motif client,
>> - a Tcl client, several Emacs clients, and a number of X clients.
> [...]
>> + This package provides development libraries and files. It is needed
>> + to compile alternative Zephyr clients, such as a free (as in free
>> + beer) Motif client, a Tcl client, several Emacs clients, and a number
>> + of X clients.

I think, once more, that only the first sentence is really required.

>> Same changes PLUS rewording the last paragraph (the "gratuitous" thing
>> doesn't sound well for me...but others might disagree and my proposal
>> may be not perfect as well.
>
> I'm afraid in English the meaning of the word "gratuitous" has
> shifted from "free/complimentary" to "superfluous/pointless".
> But it's slightly slangy, so perhaps it should be dropped.

"But XZewd *was* really gratuitous"

kcr