Re: [RFR] templates://auctex/{auctex/templates}

Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk> writes:

> The issue is the dependencies from preview-latex-style, not the ones
> from auctex.  If I don't have auctex installed, but I run across the
> package description of p-l-s and think it sounds like something I
> should try out, I get no warning that auctex would be useful.  (The
> text also and more obviously implies a strong connection to emacs
> which isn't reflected in the dependencies, but a "Suggests: auctex"
> would cover that automatically.)

It would be wrong.  preview-latex-style is used, for example, for
previewing from within LyX (and LyX users tend to hate Emacs).  It is
also used by ps4pdf, a LaTeX style allowing pstricks graphics in
combination with PDFTeX.

>> Preview-latex-style is *not*at*all* usefull for a user of Emacs,
>> unless they have auctex installed.
>
> This is evidence that p-l-s should have a dependency on auctex (which
> Depends: emacs) instead of directly on emacs.

No.  You are confusing your dependencies.  AUCTeX requires
preview-latex-style, not the other way round.

>>> No, the README.gz and the package synopsis are quite clear that it's
>>> primarily intended for use with Emacs.
>>
>> David is the author of preview-latex-style and the current maintainer of
>> auctex.  You'd better believe him.
>
> If he disagrees with the docs, that's a problem, but I'm ready and
> willing to help fix it.

Uh, I wrote the docs.  And the _separate_ preview/latex/README for
preview.dtx states:

    The preview.sty style file
    ==========================

    Purpose
    -------

    The main purpose of the preview package is the extraction of selected
    elements from a LaTeX source, like formulas or graphics, into separate
    pages of a DVI file.  A flexible and convenient interface allows it to
    specify what commands and constructs should be extracted.  This works
    with DVI files postprocessed by either Dvips and Ghostscript or
    dvipng, but it also works when you are using PDFTeX for generating PDF
    files.

    Current uses of the package include the preview-latex package for
    WYSIWYG functionality in the AUCTeX editing environment, generation of
    previews in LyX, as part of the operation of the ps4pdf and pst-pdf
    packages, the tbook XML system and some other tools.

    Availability
    ------------

    The preview package is being developed along and distributed with
    AUCTeX.  It can therefore be obtained as part of AUCTeX distribution
    files available at <URL:ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/auctex/> or its
    mirror at <CTAN:support/auctex>.  CTAN also provides a standalone
    version at <CTAN:macros/latex/contrib/preview>.  The project page at
    <URL:http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/auctex/> offers downloads and
    anonymous CVS access for cutting edge versions.  For more information
    about the preview package please refer to the home page of AUCTeX at
    <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/>.

How anybody can claim from this README that the preview style is
primarily intended for Emacs is utterly beyond me.

And the condescending manner in which I am told that I am too stupid to
understand the documentation I wrote is really something to be
cherished.

> This discussion is not about the binary package auctex.  Look at the
> package preview-latex-style; neither its package description nor its
> headers express any dependency connection with auctex.

And your point was?