Re: [RFR] templates://mplayer/{mplayer.templates}

Quoting A Mennucc (debdev@tonelli.sns.it):
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 06:54:01PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> >  Template: mplayer/rtc
> >  Type: boolean
> >  Default: false
>
> Sorry..  this is old and obsolete, and will be removed in the next
> version of mplayer ; my fault, I forgot to mention before.

OK, I will remove that one.

What about others, which I pointed in that other bug report you
mention as being debconf "abuse"?

> >  Template: mplayer/install_codecs
> >  Type: note
>
> As you mention in the other bug report, this template may be substituted
> by a direct question "do you want to download additional binary codecs?"
>
> But I do not know if this is safe : I remember a similar situation
> when libdvdread offered to download libdvdcss , and this spurred
> a lot of controversy.

If you have some doubts (but wasn't the concern different for
libdvdcss, with the download of that component potentially breaking
some laws in some countries?), then we'd better keep that template
this way and you open a discussion after the review process.

> > --- ../mplayer.old/debian/control	2007-09-23 07:21:55.231717618 +0200
> > +++ debian/control	2007-10-04 18:47:08.857602369 +0200
> > "The" Movie Player, with capitals is a bit emphatic. There are others...:-))
>
> The mplayer web site http://www.mplayerhq.hu/ is titled
> "MPlayer - The Movie Player" .
> This is the slogan of the mplayer development group;
> to me it signifies a constant tension toward excellence, as is well
> shown by the endless discussions in mplayer-dev-eng re: the
> code improvement and fine optimization.

Well, I still disagree about one point: Debian package descriptions,
and more specifically the short one, are not meant to be
advertisments....which this one sounds to be.

Package descriptions are meant for the only purpose of being
informative to users and we can expect them to be neutral.

Keeping upstream's motto is possible but it should then be limited to
the long description and it must be clear that this is the upstream jingle....