Re: [LCFC] templates://wacom-tools/{wacom-kernel-source.templates,wacom.po-temp lates}

On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 11:05:23AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> This is the last call for comments for the review of debconf
> templates for wacom-tools.
>
> The reviewed templates will be sent on Monday, September 24, 2007 to the package
> maintainer as a bug report and a mail will be sent to this list with
> "[BTS]" as a subject tag.

Hi,

Since there hasn't been a further rush of people with things to add to
this one, I've done one last round of editorialising on them myself,
mostly to correct factual errors about things that have changed in the
packages that weren't reflected in the descriptions, but also to include
the last suggestions from Justin and the kernel-headers/linux-headers
fix (which slipped being added to the files in Christian's last post).
There are a couple of other little tweaks, but I think they are all in
the spirit and style of the suggestions made to date.

If people are happy with these as they are now, then I'm happy to move
this on into the next phase.

Cheers,
Ron

Source: wacom-tools
Section: graphics
Maintainer: Ron Lee <ron@debian.org>
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 5.0.0), po-debconf, xserver-xorg-dev, libxi-dev, libxt-dev, libncurses5-dev
Standards-Version: 3.7.2.2

Package: wacom-kernel-source
Section: devel
Architecture: all
Depends: build-essential, debhelper (>= 4.1.16), libx11-dev, ${misc:Depends}
 This package provides source code for the latest Wacom kernel modules.
 You will need a kernel headers package or properly configured source for
 the running kernel to create the binary module package.
 .
 Most people will not need this package and can just load the existing 'wacom'
 module for their running kernel.

Package: wacom-tools
Section: utils
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
Recommends: xserver-xorg-input-wacom
 This package provides utilities to test and configure Wacom graphics tablets.
 You will need kernel and X.Org driver support for your tablet to use them.

Package: xserver-xorg-input-wacom
Section: x11
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
Suggests: wacom-tools
 This package provides the X.Org driver and udev support for Wacom tablet
 devices.
 .
 Note that it is not a part of the X.Org distribution since X11R6: this driver
 is from the linuxwacom project. See http://linuxwacom.sf.net for details.
 .
 You will also require a kernel module which supports your tablet. Many types
 are supported by the 'wacom' module supplied with current Linux kernels. If
 yours is not one of them (yet) then see the wacom-kernel-source package for
 the most up to date module available.
Template: wacom-kernel-source/module
Type: boolean
Default: true
 In order to make full use of a Wacom graphics tablet you need to compile and
 install the provided modules to suit the running Linux kernel.
 .
 If you choose this option, the Wacom modules will be compiled into a
 binary package using local kernel configuration settings.
 .
 This requires either a linux-headers-* package or the full kernel source
 tree. Do not choose this option if neither of these is available.
 You can return to this step again later with:
 'dpkg-reconfigure wacom-kernel-source'.

Template: wacom-kernel-source/recompile
Type: boolean
Default: true
 If you choose this option, the Wacom modules will be compiled into a
 binary package using local kernel configuration settings.
 .
 This requires either a linux-headers-* package or the full kernel source
 tree. Do not choose this option if neither of these is available.
 You can return to this step again later with:
 'dpkg-reconfigure wacom-kernel-source'.
 .
 This may replace some modules that were originally built with
 the running kernel.

Template: wacom-kernel-source/kernel
Type: string
Default: /usr/src/linux/
 In order to compile the Wacom modules, please enter the location
 of the Linux kernel headers for them to use.
 .
 Headers provided by a linux-headers-* package are located in
 /usr/src/linux-headers-*.

Template: wacom-kernel-source/wrong_kernel
Type: boolean
Default: false
 No valid Linux headers were found in the directory you specified.

Template: wacom-kernel-source/module_location
Type: note
 The wacom-kernel-modules package will be built in /usr/src/modules,
 but cannot be automatically installed. You will have to install it manually
 with 'dpkg -i wacom-kernel-module-<version>.deb'.
 .
 Once the module package is installed, the wacom-kernel-source package is no
 longer required except to build new packages after later kernel updates.
 If the wacom-kernel-source package is updated then this procedure will be
 repeated using your original answers.

Template: wacom-kernel-source/verbose
Type: boolean
Default: false
 The process of building a binary package may produce quite a lot of output.
 It may be useful if problems arise during the build.

Template: wacom-kernel-source/erase
Type: boolean
Default: false
 Some binary wacom-kernel-modules packages remain in /usr/src(/modules).
 Once they have been installed, they're not useful anymore and may be removed
 unless you want to keep them for backup or re-installation purposes.
Template: wacom-kernel-modules/moduleorder
Type: note
 If the wacom driver is not loaded before the normal Linux Human
 Interface Driver then the HID will have already claimed the device
 as a generic mouse and the wacom driver will be ignored.
 .
 This package may also replace some modules out of the running
 kernel. An automated unloading of the HID module, with insertion of
 the wacom module beneath it, would be unsafe and therefore is not
 attempted.
 .
 If you wish to install the wacom module without rebooting the
 machine, you will need to shut down all processes that use the HID
 module and its dependents and unload them manually before installing
 the wacom module. The simplest thing to do is reboot the machine at
 some convenient opportunity after the package install is complete and
 let the new modules configuration determine the proper loading order.