Re: Help writing a News entry for stunnel

Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz wrote:
> I'm adopting stunnel, and updating it to version 4. Since this is a
> big change, I want to add a News.Debian entry, and would like to make
> sure it's clear. Would someone please proofread the following?

Bonus nitpick: NEWS.Debian!

> Thanks in advance, and please CC me, I'm not subscribed to the list.

> stunnel (2:4.20-1) experimental; urgency=low
>
>   * Stunnel 3 is deprecated. The new stunnel4 has a different command line
>     syntax and configuration. You will need to update your scripts.
>
>     There is a wrapper script that understands stunnel3 command line
>     syntax and calls stunnel4 with the right configuration. As far as I could

Preferably either "can determine" or "have been able to determine".

>     determine, it supports every stunnel3 option *except* for
>
>     -S sources	which certificate source defaults to use

This is an abbreviated extract from stunnel(1); but given that -S
_isn't_ supported I don't see why you're explaining the details...

> 		   0 = ignore all defaults sources
                                         ^
(That's "default" not "defaults" anyway; the only thing here that's
definitely wrong.)

> 		   1 = use ssl library defaults
> 		   2 = use stunnel defaults
> 		   3 = use both ssl library and stunnel defaults
>
>     This script is installed as /usr/bin/stunnel3
>
>     In order to create less migration problems, /usr/bin/stunnel is a

Avoid the less/fewer issue with "To minimize migration problems".

>     symlink to the wrapper script. A future version will make the link
>     point to stunnel4.

Here's a version with some extra reshuffling:

    * Stunnel 3 is deprecated. The new stunnel4 has a different command line
      syntax and configuration. You will need to update your scripts.

      The wrapper script /usr/bin/stunnel3 understands stunnel3 command
      line syntax and calls stunnel4 with appropriate options. It appears to
      support every stunnel3 option *except* -S (which controls the defaults
      used for certificate sources).

      To simplify migration, /usr/bin/stunnel is a symlink to the wrapper
      script. A future version will make the link point to stunnel4.
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)