Re: Item for the guidelines

Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> Quoting Justin B Rye (jbr@edlug.org.uk):
> > Whoah!  There's no such thing as "a" software.  It's a non-count
> > noun, like hardware, or information.  You mean "a program" or "an
> > application".
>
> Let's reword this, then:
>
> Database server software is a program that handles data and serves
> it....

Sorry, that has a similar problem.  That "is" equates the uncountable
"software" with the single "a program".

How about:

Database server software handles data and serves it....

or:

Database servers are programs that handle data and serve it...

> I don't feel like calling MySQL "program" or "application"....

So use the first alternative above (although I don't see why not).

Regards,
--
MJR/slef