Re: [RFR] templates://alsa-driver/{alsa-source.templates,linux-sound-base.templates}

On Sun, May 06 I wrote (on debian-l10n-english):
> Christian Perrier wrote:
>> Please find, for review, the debconf templates of alsa-driver.
>
> I've got some concerns with the control file, too - in summary: it
> doesn't suggest any reason why anyone would want to compile a
> custom alsa-modules package from alsa-source.  But I'll give a
> separate diff for that (if I ever work out what the answer is).

I still don't get it.  If I'm using a Debian stock kernel with
modular ALSA support, I don't need alsa-source; if I'm rolling my
own kernel from linux-source with appropriate alsa-drivers compiled
in, I don't need alsa-source.

Reading between the lines, it seems that Sarge ALSA-on-2.4 users
needed an alsa-source package to go along with their ALSAless
kernel-source-2.4 package.  But Etch barely supports 2.4 kernels,
and Lenny probably won't work with them at all.

So I'd like to appeal to pkg-alsa-devel for input: is there another
use case, unmentioned by the package's long description (if so, it's
a minor bug we should fix on debian-l10n-english) or not (an RC
remove-this-package bug)?
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)