Re: [RFR] templates://postfix/{templates}

LaMont Jones wrote:

I disagree with most of your rationales, but not with your patches!
(So you can stop reading here.)

>  Template: postfix/kernel_version_warning
>  Type: boolean
>
> "Too old kernel" is bad english.  Either "Kernel is too old", or "Too
> old of a kernel"

Watch out, "too $ADJECTIVE of a $NOUN" (eg "too big of a gamble") is
strongly deprecated by most grammar guides (as a "ruralism", though
it's becoming common in many dialects of spoken English).  The
prescriptive Standard English form is "too $ADJECTIVE a $NOUN"; to
some anglophones that's the ordinary colloquial form, to others it
sounds ridiculous, so your rephrasing is a good idea.

I was also thinking of suggesting that the text should mention what
the 2.6 functionality in question is exactly.  But now that I look
it up I see it's event-polling (CONFIG_EPOLL), which is almost
guaranteed to be missing from any 2.4 kernel and present in any 2.6
kernel, so fair enough.

>  Template: postfix/destinations
>  Type: string
> - Please give a comma-separated list of domains that this machine
> - should consider itself the final destination for. If this is a mail
> + Please give a comma-separated list of domains for which this machine
> + should consider itself the final destination. If this is a mail
>   domain gateway, you probably want to include the top-level domain.
>
> As long as we're cleaning up, let's not end sentenses with prepositions.

In this particular case, that's probably an improvement, but please
let's not declare this debian-l10n-english policy.  Sentence-final
prepositions have always been grammatical in English, and are often
better than any of the available alternatives.

> - The recipient delimiter must be a single character while "${enteredstring}"
> + The recipient delimiter must be a single character. "${enteredstring}"
>   is what you entered.
>
> If the 'while' really wants to be there, it needs at least a semicolon
> in front of it.

A comma would work, or a full stop as here, but a semicolon
wouldn't.  Fortunately again my disagreement doesn't impact your
patch, though I might have suggested
    What you entered was "${enteredstring}".

> - Please specify the network blocks which this host should relay mail for.
> + Please specify the network blocks for which this host should relay mail.
>
> prepositions again.

A matter of taste, but it's your decision.  For more on
sentence-final prepositions, see:
"http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/000743.html";.
--
JBR