Re: [RFR] templates://tzdata/{templates}

Christian Perrier wrote:
> Please find, for review, the debconf templates of tzdata.

The revised templates file contains:

> # Note to translators:
> # - "Etc" will present users with a list
> #    of "GMT+xx" or "GMT-xx" timezones
> # - SystemV will give the choice between zone named as per SystemV convention$
> #   EST5, MST7, etc.

but the patch says:

>  Template: tzdata/Areas
>  Type: select
> -_Choices: Africa, America, Antarctica, Australia, Asia, Atlantic, Canada, Europe, Indian, Pacific, US, SystemV, Etc
> +# Translators: "Etc" will present users with a list
> +# of "GMT+xx" or "GMT-xx" timezones
> +__Choices: Africa, America, Antarctica, Australia, Asia, Atlantic, Canada, Europe, Indian, Pacific, US, SystemV, Etc

It's not clear to me what I should be diffing against, so I'll stick
to inline comments for now.

> Template: tzdata/Areas
>  Please select the geographic area in which you live, then you will
>  be shown a list of cities which represent the time zone in which they
>  are located.

A run-on sentence.  How about:

   Please select the geographic area you live in. Subsequent configuration
   questions will narrow this down by presenting a list of cities,
   representing the time zones in which they are located.

> Package: tzdata
>  This package contains data that represent the history of local time for many
>  representative locations around the globe. It is updated periodically to
>  reflect changes made by political bodies to time zone boundaries, UTC offsets,
>  and daylight-saving rules.

"Represent the history" of local time?  Unless the package is full
of information about the Greenwich Royal Observatory, surely it
should be something like:

   This package contains data required for the implementation of standard local
   time for many representative locations around the globe. [...]

--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)