Re: [LCFC] templates://lwat/templates

> > Maybe the maintainer can explain us....which would actually mean
> > adding a long description..:)
> I guess you shgould have sent that question to lwat@lists.bzzware.org
> instead, Bu I'm adding the the list to the reply.
>
> It's a debian-edu thing, and maybe best explained in
> http://bzz.no/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/lwat/doc/config.php.html
> "Debian edu installations use something called lisGroup, that is a self
> invented thing. This allow for both memberUid and member to be in the
> same group object, If useLisGroup is set to false, the variable
> AuthGroup is used instead to create a groupOfMembers."

OK. What about:

Template: lwat/uselisgroup
Type: boolean
Default: true
  Some installations use a feature named "lisGroups" which allows for
 both memberUid and member to be in the same group object.
 .
 If you do not choose this option, the AuthGroup setting will be used
 to create a groupOfMembers.

If not sure this is entirely clear, here.

Maybe a reference to the config.php.html file would be a good idea. Is
that file installed in /usr/share/doc/lwat when the package is installed?

> >> For all of these questions I don't understand what "the last part"
> >> refers to, do you know?
> >
> > Ah, crap. Nicolas made a remark about this. This actually means that
> > one can omit the DN part and just mention the "ou=" sequence.
> >
> > At least, the is my understanding.
>
> You are right. The reference to "the last part" was added by Winnie
> (Patrick Winnertz) who is the actuall maintainer (i'm just
> co-maintainer, and upstream).
> I think it's better explained in the config.php documentation:
> "The prefix under which the groups information is stored. Dont duplicate
> the information in the variable $base"

I suggest something like:

Template: lwat/groupprefix
Type: string
Default: ou=Group
 Please enter the prefix under which the groups information is
 stored.
 .
 Do not include the DN prefix in this setting. It will be added
 automatically in the generated configuration file.

> >> I'm not sure that the (0-9) is entirely clear. Would (characters 0-9) be
> >> clear, or does that just add an extra word that could confuse?
> >
> > Yep, good idea.
>
> well, as upstream, I'm not sure if you (I?) mean that lwat will require
> 0-9 digits in the password, or if it means the digits (character 0-9). I
> know that it means the later, but please help to make it more clear.
> Maye remove the (0-9) and just use digits or number or ?

I think I understand the purpose of the setting, but explaining it in
a short description is indeed not that easy to make it clear.

"digit" is certainly something that is perfectly clear to users whose
English is the native language, or for very good speakers.

That may be a little bit more unclear for others and, even though this
will be translated, it won't be translated in all languages so many
people will see this in English.

Maybe "Minimum number of digit characters in passwords:" and a long

Please enter the minimum number of characters in the 0-9 range that
will be mandatory in users' password.

...and, indeed, a similar long descriptions for other similar templates.

> True. Although the goal is to make the package usable for an average
> teacher, I'm not sure if it's the goal to make it installable for one.
> If the Average teacher should install this, it would be through
> debian-edu, or some other project were most (all) of the questions are
> preseeded, and therefor will not be displayed.

Definitely. However, as long as the package enters Debian, the control
abou twho uses it becomes less obvious and the wisdom requires making
the question as accessible as possible, especially for a tool whos
epurpose is to make users management easy.

And, of course, once we will have done this work, the debconf
templates will be somewhat carved in stone..:)