Re: please reviex my debconf templates

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 04:44:42PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:

> > Template: em8300/microcode/file
> > Type: select
> > _Choices: None${files}
>
> This is very prone to translator errors. Most will translate "files"....:-(
>
> Can't you use something like:
>
> #flag:translate !:2
> __Choices: None, ${files}
>
> I guess that you take care adding a comma at the beginning of the
> "files" variable in you rmaintainer scripts. If you choose my
> suggestion, you'll need to remove it of course.

Well, currently, the list is generated in config by:
  files=`find /usr/share/em8300 -type f -printf ", %f"`
(which should by the way probably use %P rather than %f)
Removing the first coma and space would certainly be feasible but it
makes the code more complex. Moreover, although I don't need it, it
currently works fine with an empty list, which I think would fail with
your proposal.

> > Template: em8300/adv717x/options
> > Type: string
> >  Options can be passed to the adv717x kernel module when it is loaded
> >  to control how it works.
> >  .
> >  Options include:
> >   output_mode=comp+svideo|svideo|comp|comp+psvideo|psvideo|composvideo|yuv|rgb|rgbs
> >   pixelport_16bit=0|1
> >   pixelport_other_pal=0|1
> >   pixeldata_adjust_ntsc=0|1|2|3
> >   pixeldata_adjust_pal=0|1|2|3
> >  Multiple options should be separated by spaces.
> >  .
> >  Some sets of options have been reported to remove color
> >  problems. Check the package documentation for details.
> >  .
> >  Unfortunately, there is currently no way to find the right parameters
> >  for your card, so you'll have to find them yourself by trial and error.
>
> This template is IMHO too long (lintian probably warns you about this).

Lintian does not complain (about that).
Anyway, you may be right that it's too long, since using the dialog
frontend, it does not fit in a page with a standard 80x24 terminal...
Any suggestion to trim those 2 templates?

Nicolas