Re: please review my template

Quoting Nicolas Boullis (nboullis@debian.org):

> I certainly know that you do, but you did not reply to my last message
> to you where I gave you my reasons to prefer debconf notes over
> NEWS.debian . Do you want to comment on those, or to give me reasons to
> prefer NEWS.debian (or anything else) over debconf notes?

No, I have no comment, that's all...:)

> > I'd recommend an "error" type which will give you more
> > guarantee that the message will actually be seen.
>
> Wouldn't this be misuse or abuse? I don't see the gain over a note.

Error templates are treated slightly differently. Could this be
considered as "abuse", we're indeed in a grey area....

> > >  Versions of isync older than 1.0 used to refetch messages that were
> > >  locally deleted. Although it was a bug, some people may be using it
> > >  as a feature. Since 1.0, messages that are locally deleted will be
> > >  deleted remotely as well. People expecting the old buggy behavior
> > >  will experience data loss.
> >
> > I'm not fond of "people" in such situation and actually I find that
> > the last sentence is not as factual as such a text should be.
>
> Uh? Any suggestion for improvement?
> As far as I can see, no native speaker objected to "people", but I have
> no idea why you dislike it...

"Les gens qui s'attendent à l'ancien comportement...." would be more
or less the right translation, which is IMHO something that is not as
neutral as it should be in such situation. and "les gens"....I dislike
that as a little bit too trivial language...:)...so I assume that
"People" may be the same in English.

I guess that native speakers didn't object mostly because your
sentence is valid English. I suggest a change mostly for writing style
considerations.

"Although this was a bug, this may have been used as a feature in some
setups"

"Data loss would be the result of keeping the old, buggy, behaviour."

this would be my suggestion.....after native speakers have corrected it, of
course ('behaviour' or 'behavior', etc :-))

but, of course, I'm here "cutting hair in four pieces" (what's the
English idiom for "nitpicking"?...I bet that there's one like "couper
les cheveux en quatre")