Re: phpbb debconf templates proofreading requested

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 19:23 +0100, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:

> As suggested by [1], I hereby post my current phpbb debconf templates.
>
> Any comments/suggestions/improvements are very welcome, either mail them
> to me, or file a bug with appropriate severity (please don't just mail
> this list, I'm not subscribed).
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!
>
> --Jeroen
>
> [1] http://people.debian.org/~bubulle/dtsg.txt

I have relatively little experience with debconf, so I hope that this
helps. I removed the internal entires as I wasn't sure that they were
going to be visible to the user.

> --------------- package phpbb2, source = phpbb2
> Template: phpbb2/httpd
> Type: multiselect
> Choices: apache, apache-ssl, apache-perl, apache2
> Default: apache
>  phpBB runs on any webserver supporting PHP4. This configuration-script
>  only supports apache-variants. Whiche one(s) do you want to be configured?
>  .
>  Note: You will need to reload (running /etc/init.d/apache-??? reload) the
>  webserver(s) by yourself.

Any Web server that supports PHP 4 is capable of running phpBB, however,
this package only supports Apache. Which Apache Web server would you
like to configure?
.
Please note that later you will need to reload the Web servers using the
invoke-rc.d application.

> --------------- package phpbb2-conf-mysql, source = phpbb2
> Template: phpbb2-conf-mysql/redodb
> Type: boolean
> Default: false
>  An existing configuration file for the database has been found as
>  /etc/phpbb2/config.php

An existing configuration file for the database has been found
at /etc/phpbb2/config.php.

>  .
>  Select this if you want to redo this setup. No database will be
>  destroyed, but any customization of /etc/phpbb2/config.php will be lost.
>
> Template: phpbb2-conf-mysql/dbsetup
> Type: select
> _Choices: Create, Populate, None
> Default: Create
>  If you haven't created a database with user yet, and want configure to do
>  so, choose `Create'.
>  .
>  If you have a database, but it has no tables yet, and want configure to
>  populate that database with tables, choose `Populate'.
>  .
>  In all other cases, choose `None'.

Grave accents used as left single quotation marks are evil! Here's what
I suggest:

If you have not yet created a database but want to do so, choose
"Create."
.
If you have created a database that currently has no tables and you wish
for to populate them, choose "Populate."
.
If none of the above options applies to you, choose "None."

> Template: phpbb2-conf-mysql/dbserver
> Type: string
> Default: localhost
>  If your database is on another machine then you need to change this value
>  to the fully qualified domain name for that system.

If your database is on a separate computer, then you will need to enter
the fully qualified domain name for that computer.

> Template: phpbb2-conf-mysql/dbname
> Type: string
> Default: phpbb2
>  All users, posts, etc. are stored in one single database. How do you want
>  to call it?

All users, posts, etc., are stored in a single database. What would you
like to name it?

> Template: phpbb2-conf-mysql/dbuser
> Type: string
> Default: phpbb2
>  For maximum security, a user dedicated for phpBB will be created.

In the interest of security, a user dedicated to running phpBB will be
created for you. What would you like to name this user?

> Template: phpbb2-conf-mysql/dbpass
> Type: password
>  Choose a password for the databaseuser.
>  .
>  Leave this empty if you want to have a random password generated.

To what value should this user's password be set? If you leave this
empty, a random password will be generated.

> Template: phpbb2-conf-mysql/dbrootpass
> Type: password
>  In order to create a user, the database and the tables, the MySQL root
>  password is needed.
>  .
>  This password will be temporarily stored by debconf until the configuring
>  phase of this install.  If you do not trust debconf to securily manage
>  this password, you need to create the database and user yourself, and fill
>  in the exact same details during the installation of phpbb2-conf-mysql
>  (and choose `Populate' rather than `Create').

In order to create the necessary user, database, and tables, the MySQL
root password is required.
.
The password will be temporarily stored by debconf until the
configuration phase of this installation. If you do not trust debconf to
securely manage this password, you will need to create the user,
database, and tables yourself in addition to filling in the same details
during the installation of the phpbb2-conf-mysql package.

[What did you mean here about Populate and Create?]

> Template: phpbb2-conf-mysql/dbfailcreate
> Type: note
>  The configuration script failed to create the phpbb database. Please run
>  dpkg-reconfigure phpbb2, to try with different options, possibly choose
>  "Manual" and create the database yourself.
>  .
>  Error: ${error}

The configuration script failed to create the phpBB database. Please run
dpkg-reconfigure phpbb2 and try again with different options. You may
create the database user by hand if you choose the manual installation
option.
.
Error: $(error}

> Template: phpbb2-conf-mysql/dbfailcreateuser
> Type: note
>  The configuration script failed to create the phpbb database user. Please
>  run dpkg-reconfigure phpbb2, to try with different options, possibly
>  choose "Manual" and create the database user yourself.
>  .
>  Error: ${error}

The configuration script failed to create the phpBB database user.
Please run dpkg-configure phpbb2 and try again with different options.
You may create the database user by hand if you choose the manual
installation option.
.
Error: ${error}

> Template: phpbb2-conf-mysql/dbfailcreatetables
> Type: note
>  The configuration script failed to create the phpbb tables. Please run
>  dpkg-reconfigure phpbb2, to try with different options, possibly choose
>  "Manual" and create the tables yourself.
>  .
>  Error: ${error}

The configuration script failed to create the phpBB tables. Please run
dpkg-configure phpbb2 and try again with different options. You may
create the tables by hand if you choose the manual installation option.

> Template: phpbb2-conf-mysql/nodbpurge
> Type: note
>  The purge script did not drop the database for phpbb, nor the user created
>  for it. You will need to do so yourself (but only if you do not want to
>  loose all data and board configuration).

The purge script did not remove the database for phpBB or the user
created for running phpBB. If you wish to remove all phpBB data and
configuration, you will need to remove them yourself.