Re: phpbb debconf templates proofreading requested

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:23:00 +0100, Jeroen van Wolffelaar
<jeroen@wolffelaar.nl> posted to debian-l10n-english:
 > As suggested by [1], I hereby post my current phpbb debconf templates.
 > Any comments/suggestions/improvements are very welcome, either mail them
 > to me, or file a bug with appropriate severity (please don't just mail
 > this list, I'm not subscribed).

I have a few stray comments but these are just quick off the cuff
remarks -- I haven't checked these very thoroughly.

 >  phpBB runs on any webserver supporting PHP4. This configuration-script
 >  only supports apache-variants. Whiche one(s) do you want to be configured?
 >  .
 >  Note: You will need to reload (running /etc/init.d/apache-??? reload) the
 >  webserver(s) by yourself.

I would rephrase this slightly. How about this:

 phpBB runs on any web server with PHP4 support. However, only
 Apache variants are currently supported by this configuration
 script. Select the one(s) you want to configure.
 .
 Note: You will need to restart the server(s) yourself (typically
 by running something like /etc/init.d/apace-??? reload).

I tried to avoid referring to the configuration script -- perhaps it
would be enough to say "only Apache variants are currently supported."
and then maybe in some README elaborate on how others can be
configured by hand.

 > Template: phpbb2-conf-mysql/dbsetup
 > Type: select
 > _Choices: Create, Populate, None
 > Default: Create
 >  If you haven't created a database with user yet, and want configure to do
 >  so, choose `Create'.
 >  .
 >  If you have a database, but it has no tables yet, and want configure to
 >  populate that database with tables, choose `Populate'.
 >  .
 >  In all other cases, choose `None'.

It's not necessarily who "configure" is. I believe a word may be
missing from the first sentence of the extended description. Also the
short description is IMHO a bit problematic. How's this instead:

 If you do not have a database with a user yet, you can choose
 `Create' to set up one now.
 .
 If you have a database, but it has no tables yet, you can choose
 `Populate' to have the tables set up now.
 .
 If you choose `None' you will need to XXXXX yourself.

This is obviously unfinished but may hopefully be useful as an
alternate starting point.

These violate DTSG 4.2.1. Here are hopefully plausible replacements.

 >  Choose a password for the databaseuser.

"database user".

 > Template: phpbb2-conf-mysql/dbpass_generated
 > Type: password
 >  No need to translate this.
 >  .
 >  Here the password generated by makepasswd is stored for later reference
 >  (for example, on upgrade). Only used if dbpass is empty.

Do you need a template at all if this is not used to display anything?
(Sorry, I obviously don't know enough about Debconf.)

 > Template: phpbb2-conf-mysql/dbrootpass
 > Type: password
<...>
 >  In order to create a user, the database and the tables, the MySQL root
 >  password is needed.
 >  .
 >  This password will be temporarily stored by debconf until the configuring
 >  phase of this install.  If you do not trust debconf to securily manage
 >  this password, you need to create the database and user yourself, and fill
 >  in the exact same details during the installation of phpbb2-conf-mysql
 >  (and choose `Populate' rather than `Create').

The order of events here is a bit problematic, if it reflects how
configure runs. Perhaps it would be more user-friendly to provide the
high-level options first and then only if the user actually enters the
MySQL password proceed with the details of setting up the tables.

 >  The purge script did not drop the database for phpbb, nor the user created
 >  for it. You will need to do so yourself (but only if you do not want to
 >  loose all data and board configuration).

s/loose/lose and is the "not" misplaced or something?

Hope this helps,

/* era */

--
formail -s procmail <http://www.iki.fi/era/spam/ >http://www.euro.cauce.org/