Re: Review courier-base templates

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:04:40 +0100, Stefan Hornburg <deblists@linuxia.de>
posted to gmane.linux.debian.internationalization.english:
 > Template: courier-base/webadmin-configmode
 > Type: boolean
 > Default: false
 >  Courier uses several configuration files which are located in
 >  /etc/courier. Some configuration files can be replaced by a subdirectory
 >  where all files insides this directory are concatenated and considered
 >  to be a single, consolidated, configuration file.
 >  .
 >  To control and administer the Courier configuration
 >  through the web-based administration frontend provided by the
 >  courier-webadmin package, these files resp. directories needs to be readable and
 >  writable by the user ${courieruser}.
 >  .
 >  Furthermore, the frontend relies on configuration directories instead of
 >  configuration files. If you agree, any directories needed for the web-based
 >  administration tool will be created unless there is already a
 >  plain file in place.
 >  .
 >  Should the Courier packages change the file ownership, permissions and
 >  create directories to accomodate the web-based administration frontend ?

s/ ?/?/g

The second paragraph has a congruence problem. How about this instead:

 To control and administer the Courier configuration through the
 web-based administration frontend provided by the courier-webadmin
 package, the directory and files need to be readable and writable by
 the user ${courieruser}.

This also coincidentally fixes the wrapping problem. (Just a matter of
taste, I guess, but there might be debconf frontends which don't rewrap?)

Not sure about frontend pro front-end. Is this standardized anywhere?

 > Template: courier-base/suitenotice
 > Type: note
 >  Formerly the courier-imap package(s) are generated from the separately
 >  distributed Courier IMAP sources. From now on the whole Courier suite gets
 >  packaged for Debian. So the infrastructure has changed a lot, e.g. all
 >  configuration files have been moved to /etc/courier.
 >  .
 >  Please tell the maintainer about your experiences with the new
 >  infrastructure.

Temporal confusion. I'd prefer this:

 Formerly, the courier-imap packages were generated from the
 separately distributed Courier IMAP sources. This has changed, and
 now the entire Courier suite gets packaged for Debian. For this
 reason, the infrastructure has changed a lot; for example, all
 configuration files have been moved to /etc/courier.

You'll note some minor wording changes in addition to the decoupling
of the note from the time it was written.

 > Template: courier-base/maildir
 > Type: string
 > Default: Maildir
 >  You change the setting for the directory name in the user's home directory
 >  where the Courier POP and IMAP servers locate the user's maildir.

I don't understand the long explanation. Does it mean you should also
change something in the user's home directory? Or do you mean
something like

 This is a relative path name from each user's home directory to the
 maildir directory where the Courier POP and IMAP servers store the
 user's mail.

In that case, what if one wanted to store the maildir somewhere else
entirely, i.e. somewhere within /var?

The relative vs. absolute distinction I think would be important in
any event.

Hope this helps,

/* era */

--