Re: [desktop] Motto

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:35:29PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 10:51:25PM -0500, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
>> This obviously isn't that big of a deal, but I suggest that the
>> Debian-Desktop project motto be changed from "Software which Just Works"
>> to "Software that Just Works". Good grammar and all that.

> AIUI, you'd be wrong to suggest that.

> "That" following a noun is only incorrect grammar if there's a comma
> between the preceding noun and the word "that".

Branden,

Did you misunderstand Joel's suggestion to change from which
to that?  There are no commas anywhere, and his suggestion
is that "which" is incorrect.  I believe "software that just
works" is a much better fit and reflects that "just works"
is a defining characteristic of the software.

I think your second 'acceptable' (and the motto with
'which') is discouraged usage, backed up by:
 http://www.sfwriter.com/ow10.htm
 http://emd.athabascau.ca/html/editors_guide_3.htm
 http://bmj.com/advice/stylebook/tbook.shtml
 http://www.stcwvc.org/galley/april/grammar.htm
 http://www.cbc.ca/news/indepth/words/mayhem.html
 http://142.206.72.66/1999/10_oct/0700-e.htm

and that "nonstandard" is too generous; it is just wrong.

-neil