Re: Help reviewing a new section of APT-Howto

Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org> writes:

> Em Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:01:42 -0500
> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> escreveu:
>
> > Note that I used an <tt>*</tt> (asterisk).  This is a "wildcard"; it say
> > that I want that this "pin" to be valid for all versions beginning with
> > 0.4.99.  This is because Debian versions its packages with a "Debian
> > revision" and I don't want to avoid the installation of these revisions.
> > So, for instance, versions 0.4.99-1 and 0.4.99-10 will be installed as
> > soon as they are made available.
> > <!-- I think this is a poor example of wildcard usage because if
> > somebody modifies a file owned by a package, won't it get clobbered by
> > *any* upgrade? -->
> I don't quite understand this... I was trying to show that if one wishes
> to set that pin as valid for all debian revisions of 0.4.99 that asterisk
> would do it... do you have any suggestions about this?

I think Branden was asking why you might wish to use a wildcard in
this situation.  A better example might be a game such as Nethack
which can take a long time to finish but whose save files are
generally incompatible across upstream versions.  (Another possibility
would be an application taking some sort of binary plugins which are
incompatible across upstream versions; I haven't been able to find a
concrete example, though.)

--
Aaron M. Ucko, KB1CJC <amu@mit.edu> (finger amu@monk.mit.edu)